User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ruby-lang View Post
    Frankly, at the risk of starting a flame war, Coldfusion isn't a good technology to invest your time in right now. There are few new sites built with it, and CF programmers are moving on. If you find a position, you will probably work maintaining an existing CF site, with several years of hacks and annoying quirks.

Java, ASP.Net, and PHP are safe bets now, while Python and Ruby are two fast-growing markets that will probably offer several great opportunities by the time the economy turns around. If you do land a CF job, it's still wise to start planning your next move.
    Well to be honest, i have even less chance of getting a PHP job than a coldfusion one, as ive never used PHP before.

I have signed up to a few websites and am getting regular updates on new available coldfusion positions. There seems to a reasonable amount of them dotted around.Theres even more in america, but obviously hard to get a visa to work out there.

So whilst its not the most popular language, judging from the job sites i have subscribed to, i reckon with experience you can get a pretty well paid job.
    discover song meanings and more http://www.music-explained.com

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The coldfusion developers I know are busier than ever. It's undoubtably a niche market - but it also happens to be the case most cf work is at an enterprise or high end commercial level, it's not like the freelance php world where for many it's a desperate race to the bottom slinging joomla and oscommerce about for pocket money fees, or jostling on freelance sites amongst the seething masses of $10 offshore desperados.

(I might add I use php all the time and love it but I recognise its ubiquity is a strength but can also be a weakness)

I recall somebody on here once say 'there's a far lower noise floor in coldfusion' which I'd tend to agree with.

Because your skill is a niche skill I'd actually say you may have a better chance of getting a gig in your situation (i.e no portfolio or commercial experience) because there aren't many 'trainee' level cf people available, as opposed to php where you'd be up against 10x as many people with likely plenty to show.

Where are you based out of interest?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah, this what im saying, theres gonna be far less competition to get a trainee coldfusion job than for other languages, but there are still good career opportunities with coldfusion none the less.

As you say, I reckon that it will be the commercial organisations who are more likely to opt for coldfusion, and I have seen some very very well paid jobs for senior coldfusion developers.

When I get my foot in the door, I reckon I would be in a pretty strong position in terms of future prospects. Its a massive passion of mine, so to pull this off would be amazing

Im based in birmingham, west midlands

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    when i applied for some junio php jobs they asked too if i ever had the experience to work in a team enviroment, where each person is assigned one part of a project, and my answer was usually' no' since i only have done small freelance projects, and the money they pay at those freelance sites is really just pennies *pocket change* its better to o own projects to earn money with ,rather then apply to those freelance jobs but whats good with them is you can build up a big portfolio.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Would you try to build the house without hammer and nails?
    Get your tools(resume) ready before job hunting. You have to be prepared when opportunity comes.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think most of the advice being given here is correct, it's vital for an employer to be able to gauge your ability by the quality of your work but don't let that get you down. As mentioned in another comment, there are things you can do like building little sites showing your cfml experience and building things with ColdBox will show people your level using a framework....as you probably know, the ColdFusion community is in a bit of a frameworks frenzy, whether its ModelGlue, Mach II, FuseBox or ColdBox, proven experience with a framework will stand you in good stead. I assume you'e a member of the UKCFUG...if not, join up! Any new job postings will doubtless filter through the user groups very quickly and even if you feel they're not suitable, it'll give you a good indication of what employers are looking for.

I myself got the ColdFusion bug a while back and I noticed a comment on here along the lines of no new work is being carried out with ColdFusion and any position would likely be maintaining old code, while this is true to an extent(as it is with any language) I can state for the record that we write new websites with ColdFusion so personally I wouldn't read too much into that. ColdFusion has a long future in front of it imho

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers..

Will have a look at that UKCFUG now....
    Looks like I will have to finish my site first then, then get onto the freelance..

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience, there is no harm in applying for a job now, and build your resume as you go. One thing to note is that, many company's (a few I am close with) would much prefer a talented individual with no experience, but potential, than a decent guy, who knows his stuff, has experience, but boring and predictable and slow to imporve. So in your application, tell them to hire you for the designer you could and will be, not the designer you are right now.
    AustraliaWorks - www.australiaworks.com.au
    Australian Job Discussion Forums with Job Interview Questions,
    Resume Tips, Career Advice and Job Tips

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont understand why you couldnt do both at the same time?

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aleksiastephens View Post
    I dont understand why you couldnt do both at the same time?
    Yeah, thats what im doing now.....but just wanted to know if it was even worth bothering applying for jobs without a portfolio, whether I would even be considering without a portfolio.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not apply for a job and do some freelance at the same time......

It's a bit tiring but very beneficial.. So if your still young and full of energy then make use of it!

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been doing some work for people, not freelance yet. You do have to make sacrifices to be fair.....

Still applying for jobs, had my first interview last month, thought it went really really well, didnt get it, but I thought I answered all the technical questions really well which is encouraging for the next interview I get....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been there before..... I thought I did great on my first interview but I didn't get the job but I ended up on a job that really suits my skills, though doesn't pay that much...

never give up!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have to start from the bottom sometimes, but it's worth it to get to where you want to go.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    very true...havent quite made it on the bottom rung of the ladder yet though...ill keep trying

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you may try getting a job as a junior or middleweight developer and do your best from there, its always good to start from the bottom

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Managed to get a position for an amazing company as a junior coldfusion developer.

I had one site up and running on my CV, and another one which is still in development, but my knowlegde and passion for coldfusion came through in the interview, so was all good in the end...

Really excited..

Thanks for your advice