Hybrid View

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

GIMP or buy Photoshop? plus web templates

Hi guys,

I'm on a tight budget at the moment and cannot really afford Photoshop CS3 although I do like the program (I also like Fireworks) and use it fairly well. (well, okay-ish)

Would the GIMP program (freeware) cover basic needs of web graphic design, i.e. logos, buttons, backgrounds with gradients, tiles, text effects or should I really save up and get one of the commercial programs?

Most of my work is PHP/ASP.NET-based for the near future but I've always had an aptitude for graphics and colours and I'd like to expand my skillset.. but I don't want to waste time with a program I wouldn't be able to use at some point professionally.

any help greatly appreciated!

ps - I also have seen Inkscape - is this as good or better than GIMP?

edit: I dunno why I wrote web templates in the subject line, must've been miles away lol
    Last edited by old_iron; Sep 7, 2008 at 09:17.

Night Elf silver trophybronze trophy Varelse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    GIMP should be enough for web design needs, unless you aim for advanced photo-editing.
    And InkScape is a vector program, so it won't be of a great use for web (at least not on its own).
    There are also other free or affordable graphic programs you could check - Serif PhotoPlus, Pixel image editor (formerly Pixel32), Paint.NET.
    I'd also recommend trying GimpShop - GIMP with a Photoshop interface, which could be the best solution since you know Photoshop.
    FreelanceDaddy - freelancer's personal advisor
    █ Guide and advice for freelancers starting their career
    █ Over 1000 projects posted on freelance markets every day
    █ One-stop resource for online freelancing

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Varelse View Post
    There are also other free or affordable graphic programs you could check - Serif PhotoPlus, Pixel image editor (formerly Pixel32), Paint.NET.
    I'd also recommend trying GimpShop - GIMP with a Photoshop interface, which could be the best solution since you know Photoshop.
    Thanks a lot Varelse! I'll look into GimpShop and those other programs too. Much appreciated, your help is!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

The cheap or free alternatives to Photoshop currently available are exciting! Last time I tested GIMP and Photoshop together (I think with CS2), both could read the other's layered files, so a seamless workflow seems possible (ie, a student using GIMP at home and PS at school could be productive). Not bad for free.

For Windows users, the free Paint.NET (as Varelse said) is also quite decent.

GIMPShop was a cool idea but the person who did it didn't keep up with later releases of GIMP (currently 2.4.7), stopping at 2.2.11 for some reason.

The closest thing I've seen yet to Photoshop (though with a bit of an odd interface) is the German-coded cross-platform PhotoLine32. Not free, but cheap.

So before you spring for PS CS3, check out the alternatives!
    Image creation, manipulation & education
    www.plugsandpixels.com

SitePoint Enthusiast lukemeister's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm liking GIMP, takes some getting used to but it seems to be able to do anything that I can do in photoshop (once I figure out how!)

GIMP is definitely not a copy of photoshop and does it's own thing, but it seems very powerful once one knows how to use it (wax on, wax off), and shouldn't be disregarded by the graphics hardcore crowd

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you decide to buy Adobe products, I might suggest checking the bookstore on a college campus. My bookstore here in Illinois has the basic adobe suite for $259. I can't remember all the programs included but I know it includes Bridge CS3, Photoshop, Illustrator and In Design. I think that is about the best price that I have seen it at.

SitePoint Enthusiast Eleven2Brett's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For typical stuff I think Photoshop has better a bezier tool. Gimp however does perspective very well, much better than photoshop's.
    Eleven2 Web Hosting | Serving the Internet since 2004
    Shared, Reseller, VPS & Dedicated, Done Right!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello old_iron,

If you do web graphics, I my humble oppinion you get the best value for your money, very cheap, with RealDraw. I can not live with out it, and it is very powerfull, easy and intuitive.

Best regards
    joejac