SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you like your job as a Java Developer?

share your opinion
    Last edited by sg707; Aug 19, 2008 at 17:07.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I quite like java programming in the job I'm doing, but I really trying to think of some java app I could build myself for the internet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, I have negative feeling about Java language (I am a Java developer),
    trying python for time being,and it feels like a fresh air to me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been doing Java for a while and I like it. However I wouldn't mind trying out .NET just to expand my skillset a bit. I've been doing JSF for the last 8 months or so and I hear it's similar to .NET for the web.

I have negative feeling about Java language
    Can you be more specific? I'm just curious really as I know it's not perfect.

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by irish-ed View Post
    I quite like java programming in the job I'm doing, but I really trying to think of some java app I could build myself for the internet.
    I am there with you!! You know you can build anything but question is.... what to "exactly" build...

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sherl0ck View Post
    hmm, I have negative feeling about Java language (I am a Java developer),
    trying python for time being,and it feels like a fresh air to me.
    Never tried python but I'm taking a course on Ruby on Rails starting September. I feel very comfortable writing web app in java but Ruby on Rails got me interested. Maybe after this I can write my next million dollar plugin for facebook~~

SitePoint Wizard
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rozner View Post
    Been doing Java for a while and I like it. However I wouldn't mind trying out .NET just to expand my skillset a bit. I've been doing JSF for the last 8 months or so and I hear it's similar to .NET for the web.

Can you be more specific? I'm just curious really as I know it's not perfect.
    Seriously.. my 2nd boss raves about .NET and I kept telling him "Either fire me or sign up for training course. Overall, I'm really curious about .NET but I won't study it unless I get paid.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I been developing java since 1997 and I am quite thankful I got in early. These days, I am more of an architect. Being a Java person has afforded me the best lifestyle I could have hoped for. There are not many fields where you can make 6 figure salary and work a nice 9-5. I also find the technical and people balance quite nice. When I don't want to deal with crazy people at work, I just focus on developing. When I want to do the more of the "human" side of technology, I spend time with users and senior staff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Either fire me or sign up for training course. Overall, I'm really curious about .NET but I won't study it unless I get paid.
    I'm with you on that, I want to learn it, but I want my company to send me on the training. My boss had mentioned that early on when I started but I've heard no news of it since (about 8 months ago...). I hear Sharepoint is pretty big these days, apparently pays really well, but I think you need a good .NET background for it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We developed with Java for a long time, but then we switched to Groovy. Groovy is simplifying everything.

Groovy uses all Java packages, but adds its own packages which make programming a lot easier. Groovy-Scripts also work on the JVM and the programming code is a lot shorter and better to understand.

Unfortunately, the integration in an IDE like Eclipse is still in progress. There is already a plug-in for Eclipse, but it is still in development.

But you should definitely give it a try.

SitePoint Enthusiast firmaterra's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Love Java, but lately over the past 12 months I've found myself switching more and more to c++ for desktop based applications. More because of existing code written for them rather than anything java can't do.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    programming is nothing without Java.
    it has some more benefits over some prog languages.. e.g
    Security (The Java 2 Platform takes the security model a step further. It makes security levels and restrictions highly configurable and extends them beyond applets. As of Java 1.2, any Java code, whether it is an applet, a servlet, a JavaBeans component, or a complete Java application, can be run with restricted permissions that prevent it from doing harm to the host system), Performance, Internationalization (Java uses 16-bit Unicode characters that represent the phonetic alphabets and ideographic character sets of the entire world), Dynamic, Extensible Programs, Network-centric Programming,