SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Storage requirements for vBulletin community

Ok ... i'm very much a greenhorn when it comes to setting up bulletin boards but I do have experience in designing websites.

I am considering using vBulletin for a community i'm developing. The domain host has a limit of 100MB for MySQL. I know that there are many factors to consider with respect to storage needs but my question is ...
    Would 50 - 100MB be sufficient for a vBulletin site with say 1000 - 2000 members and 100 - 200 posts per day ?

I've observed how well vBulletin works for this community and have also looked at it on a car club with 10,000+ members and am very anxious to get started with my community.

Would appreciate any guidence i can get.

Thanks, Michael
    www.thewebmechanic.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, I think you would comfortably fit on a server with those specs. I have a vB with about ~40,000 posts and ~200 posts a day now and I share that with my content site which has about 1000 full-length articles and my control panel says I've used just less than 100 MB, so take that for what it's worth.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks, mjames

I'm going to start with 50MB and see how much traffic I get prior to upgrading to 100MB. My domain host is sticking it to me for extra MySQL space ($19/mo/50MB).

I think I may need to do some price shopping
    www.thewebmechanic.com/