SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

symfony limitations

Is there anyone on here who knows and has programmed in Symfony? I'm looking for someone to answer a couple of questions. I had a company start a program for me and they chose to build it in symfony. Well, their retards and told me that their programmer under bid the project by 100%. They now won't finish the project for the amount in our contract. The problem is that they couldn't find another symfony programmer in Utah. They want to keep the down payment and give me the files. BTW they paid their programmer for every hour he worked instead of issuing me a refund. However, my new programmer doesn't know symfony. He says that he can maybe use some of their work since it is in PHP, but I think that the time to take the work out of symfony would take too much time and wouldn't be cost effective. They told me after the fact that symfony has some limitations such as encrypting code, hosting problems (this is an issue because the software is meant to be duplicated to create websites for other companies), and hardly anyone else knows symfony! grrr. They told me this because they didn't build the program how i had outlined and said it would be easier to finish it how i want it outside of symfony. I'm guessing that it has many other problems and was wondering if anyone can tell me the other potential issues with symfony.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I haven't used symfony, and generally, I've heard good things about it. The problem seems to be the old company, and how they went about the project. Encrypting code? Hosting problems? Not sure about those claims. Depending on how much you've invested on this site, and how much of the site is already coded, it might be best to cut your losses and start anew.

Any issues symfony might have, in my opinion, are for the developer to deal with, I use CakePHP, others use CodeIgniter, the point is that they are all PHP frameworks. All of them can be deployed on a server that supports PHP and some sort of database (normally MySQL) so a client should not need to worry about the intricacies of the framework. What you see is the web page, how that comes to be on your screen normally isn't a concern for the client, as long as it does what the client asks. So if a developer comes along and starts complaining about issues in a framework that they've chosen, then something is not right.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy TheOriginalH's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the Symfony Site:

Using symfony is so natural and easy for people used to PHP and the design patterns of Internet applications that the learning curve is reduced to less than a day.
    I'd say your new programmer should do a little R&D....
    ~The Artist Latterly Known as Crazy Hamster~
    922ee590a26bd62eb9b33cf2877a00df
    Currently delving into Django, GIT & CentOS

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi

is not because of your new programer, symfony is a fantastic framework but takes a long time to learn how to use it, and is not only how to code php because it uses its own type of configuration files distribution, and has a lot, so basically you have to learn the meaning of each file, all functions (helpers) and if uses ajax all related to prototype, so you have to know this ajax tooltip too

please let me know if i can answer any of your questions, my email is info [at] am80 [dot] com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry, im symfony developer

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I love symfony.:-).
    As for the hosting, symfony requires php5, if you can get that, you're fine. I tested symfony apps on several webhoststs, all good. IMHO, this is the best php framework out there, at least most documented, that's for sure. It does require some learning commitment upfront, but the process is very enjoyable. I say go for it.