SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 26 to 39 of 39
  1. #26
    We're from teh basements.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You guys crack me up.

    It has been my philosophy all along on this forum to provide a general description of the steps involved in solving a problem rather than spoon-feeding code to the questioner - which latter would be doing him a disservice by removing the incentive to learn through trial and error. Nobody ever helped me learn squat about PHP or any other language. I did my own research and wrote crappy code that eventually improved over time. (Some would say my code is still crappy after all these years, but it suits my purposes.) So I'm going to have to agree with arkinstall and everyone else who says to write your own code. Not because I don't sympathize with the OP or get a kick out of jerking his chain, but because the kind of question the OP has asked is really not what this forum is about. We're here to help coders who have made a sincere effort to do it themselves and have gotten stuck along the way. The fact is, all of the experienced programmers here write their own code; therefore few of us have any clue where to look for a ready-made script for whatever purpose. We would have to Google the answer ourselves. The obvious question would then be, does the OP expect us to do his Googling for him too?

  2. #27
    SitePoint Wizard Wolf_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing I know is that whether or not the programmer is right or vice-versa; every single person here could use a lesson in diplomacy and tact.

  3. #28
    We're from teh basements.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    The only thing I know is that whether or not the programmer is right or vice-versa; every single person here could use a lesson in diplomacy and tact.
    I won't argue with you there. I've been heckled so badly on this forum that I've stayed away for months at a time. But as arkinstall says, it's tough love. Do you want to be a programmer a script kiddie? The former generally have no patience for the latter. And, as has also been said, the purpose of this forum is to help you become a better programmer, not to do your homework for you. C'est la vie.

  4. #29
    SitePoint Wizard Wolf_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A forum is a place where you take it upon yourself to respond to posted questions where a measure of progress could very well be proportional to the quality of responses there in. While I would assume we can all agree on this trivial observation, I would then assume that it is best to leave a post alone if you feel impatient about it to begin with or later on. In other words, if you have something nice to say or something helpful to provide, then so be it, otherwise, smash that twitchy finger you have on the trigger and move along.

    Quote Originally Posted by World Wide Weird View Post
    I won't argue with you there. I've been heckled so badly on this forum that I've stayed away for months at a time. But as arkinstall says, it's tough love. Do you want to be a programmer a script kiddie? The former generally have no patience for the latter. And, as has also been said, the purpose of this forum is to help you become a better programmer, not to do your homework for you. C'est la vie.
    ...And I would have to disagree with the patriarch approach of tough love originally instituted by a 16 year-old kid since this is an internet discussion board geared toward making websites and not some sort of counseling session assisting in parental therapy.

  5. #30
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You have evidently got the wrong idea of SitePoint itself then.

    If people want free scripts they can just chuck in any file and work without them needing to touch the code, they can ask at digital point.

    SitePoint is all about professional developers, not script-kiddies.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  6. #31
    SitePoint Wizard Wolf_22's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    1,714
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    You have evidently got the wrong idea of SitePoint itself then.

    If people want free scripts they can just chuck in any file and work without them needing to touch the code, they can ask at digital point.

    SitePoint is all about professional developers, not script-kiddies.

  7. #32
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! the entire hell broke loose just because someone asked for a script. That too in a community forum. I fail to see why some people overreact. come off it guys....

  8. #33
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Before any of you hit the post button again, please take time to read the very first clause from SitePoint community guideline:

    Quote Originally Posted by SitePoint Community Guideline
    Respect Yourself and Others
    At SitePoint Forums (SPF) it's okay to be yourself -- be that harried, jovial, silly or sad. We respect you, and we ask that you respect others. So, before you hit the Submit button, have think about your post, and ask yourself whether you'd allow it to appear on your own site or forum. Also ask whether your post will cause other members to lose respect for you.
    We know that your time is valuable, so if another user posts something that annoys you, it's probably easiest to ignore the post -- after all, who wants to waste their time responding to posts that disrespect the forums' members? Of course, if you see a user doing something that disagrees with these guidelines, it's best to report the offending post or posts using the report post button.

  9. #34
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Agree. Ok, guns down guys, time for some football.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  10. #35
    We're from teh basements.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    1,205
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf_22 View Post
    A forum is a place where you take it upon yourself to respond to posted questions where a measure of progress could very well be proportional to the quality of responses there in. While I would assume we can all agree on this trivial observation, I would then assume that it is best to leave a post alone if you feel impatient about it to begin with or later on. In other words, if you have something nice to say or something helpful to provide, then so be it, otherwise, smash that twitchy finger you have on the trigger and move along.
    Ouch. I stand corrected, sir.

  11. #36
    SitePoint Enthusiast slaction's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    79
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    dude just go somewhere like hotscripts.com and find one you like that has good reviews.

    CommerceStyle.com
    : E-commerce Design Inspiration and Information.

    Follow me on Twitter!
    : Ecommerce, design and everything else.

  12. #37
    SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Kailash Badu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Posts
    2,560
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkinstall
    Agree. Ok, guns down guys, time for some football.
    That's more like our Jake!

  13. #38
    SitePoint Evangelist -T-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    444
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I feel like this is a discussion about re-inventing the wheel. I see no reason to write a new login-script if there is one already made that fits your needs. That is a waste of time and not very productive. Isn't this the basis of all the "frameworks" that's been popping up lately.

    Even though I can see your point about doing it your self will help you learn how to, who are we to decide what other people are to do? And when did the sitepoint community get so holy it was beneath its status to answer a simple question like this?
    chrome is a wrapper that combines a browser with spyware

  14. #39
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Basically, I won't even attempt to help someone if they won't learn from it. It's giving a guy a fish and offering him a rod.

    Login scripts are so basic it's not reinventing the wheel whatsoever. No script that you find online will be perfectly suited to your application, and will usually involve spaghetti-code by the end of it.

    Every programmer has their certain style. I know I do. Maintenence would be a nigtmare for future developers, and people who have no care with that evidently haven't maintained other programmers' code before.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •