User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura
    Yeah, what does a zaboca look like? Is it worth stealing and face the thirty-ought-six?
    It looks very much like an avocado.

And if you're eating a Trini pelau... trust me, it's worth it!

Quote Originally Posted by HAWK
    We have been talking about changing our flag and anthem for years but of course with that comes the expected debating and fighting that tends to make a simple job complicated...
    Scene. Yeah, I think we all know how that works.

I think a black flag with a silver fern on it would make the most sense for us.
    Woah! That would look sweet!

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by HAWK View Post
    I have removed a whole lot of posts from this thread due to their religious content and insulting nature.

This is a good thread and I don't want to close it so please think before you post.

I'm sorry i didn't intend to make that conversation about religion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chestertondevelopment View Post
    I'm definitely not one to buy into all the 'knife culture' stuff. If you look at it, a lot of it is inter-gang violence and the majority is in the suburbs of London, but I don't feel as safe on the streets anymore as I used to. For example, my girlfriend and I were attacked and beaten up outside of a pub in January by 5+ blokes, 2 got cautioned with 'common assault' and the rest got away with it. I think the points that have been made about authoritarian states is true, if these guys had got a month in jail for it or at least gone to court, then they might have thought twice about it. I'd be willing to sacrifice a bit of privacy for real safety on the streets. Note the emphasis on 'real', ID cards and the big brother state are not the answer, locking people up for a crime that deserves it and proper parenting would cure half these problems.
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and your girlfriend; they sound like a bunch of real hero's, five on to two and one of them a girl, real hard men. I agree with you that poor parenting and the lack of any real deterrent exacerbates the problem. But I'm sad to say that it could have happened to you in any city, virtually anywhere in the world and the UK is no worse and probably a lot better for personal safety than a lot of other places. These incidents are still pretty isolated in the UK and most of the stuff reported in the papers is "grudge" stuff between adolescent males from ethnic gang cultures which have been allowed to get out of control. My daughter who is about 5' 3" and six stone soaking wet, had her nose broken when she was punched in the face after refusing to hand over her wallet in Sidney. This is a girl who was on R&R after coming through 8 months voluntary service in a war zone unscathed. Bad stuff can happen anywhere.
    There are three kinds of men:
    The ones that learn by reading.
    The few who learn by observation.
    The rest of us have to pee on the electric fence.

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mobyme
    I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you and your girlfriend; they sound like a bunch of real hero's, five on to two and one of them a girl, real hard men. I agree with you that poor parenting and the lack of any real deterrent exacerbates the problem. But I'm sad to say that it could have happened to you in any city, virtually anywhere in the world and the UK is no worse and probably a lot better for personal safety than a lot of other places. These incidents are still pretty isolated in the UK and most of the stuff reported in the papers is "grudge" stuff between adolescent males from ethnic gang cultures which have been allowed to get out of control. My daughter who is about 5' 3" and six stone soaking wet, had her nose broken when she was punched in the face after refusing to hand over her wallet in Sidney. This is a girl who was on R&R after coming through 8 months voluntary service in a war zone unscathed. Bad stuff can happen anywhere.
    Thanks for your condolences, I think you summed it up perfectly, 'hard men', but we're fine bar a little concussion and bruising at the time, and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and all.

Don't get me wrong, I definitely agree with you that it can happen anywhere, I just feel that conviction's and conviction rates are too weak. It also obviously depends on where you're based in the UK, being reasonably near London I feel that a lot of the violence and crime is moving as people move away from London into areas like Essex, Kent and similar counties and things are getting worse for us whereas I wouldn't like to stereotype but I'd assume it's a little more quiet and tranquil in Snowdonia. Like you said though, it's definitely not as bad as the media would have you believe and nowhere near as bad as other places in the world.

Sorry to hear about your daughter, again, sounds like they were starting on someone who had little hope fighting back, cowards.

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    961 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by doctoromar83 View Post
    I'm sorry i didn't intend to make that conversation about religion
    No worries. You weren't the one being insulting!

Galactic Overlord gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    961 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chestertondevelopment View Post
    ...but we're fine bar a little concussion and bruising at the time, and what doesn't kill you only makes you stronger and all.
    Sadly, a very similar thing happened to my best friend while he was living in the UK. He and his g/f were attacked and beaten by a group of 5 guys one night on their way home from a bar. Unfortunately, he was killed.

They were arrested but never convicted of more than assault.

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Crazybanana's Avatar
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know where it's safest, but if you feel insecure you should try doing something about it... maybe even move...

Quote Originally Posted by mobyme View Post
    I'm sad to say that it could have happened to you in any city, virtually anywhere in the world Bad stuff can happen anywhere.
    this is so true. in the nearest town here, there are maybe 3000-4000 citizen living. and when i was young(er) i was attacked by a gang of 5-6 blokes while leaving a club.
    it was a hell of a fight but when they met someone who could punch back some of they run away, and after a while the police came and we were taken to the station.
    and in the elevator up to the police i had the last word when i managed to land another punch in the face of one of them and give another a foot in his balls resulting in being handcuffed hehe

they held us over the night but i got breakfast and free ride home the very next morning while the other 4 had to stay there after i went home.

anyway, nothing more happend the police did not follow the case because of "lack of evindence", but i never had any more troubles with them or their friends.

4 yrs later 6 friends of mine was out same place and same thing happend with people from the same "gang". but this time they tricked one of my friends out alone and beaten him up so he had to go to the hospital 250 kilometers away in a bigger city. they almost tore off his right ear and broke his nose and teared up an eye, broke a few ribs too and i don't know.. but he was badly injured.

And even in the neighbour village something like this happend, and it only lives maybe 300-400 people there.
    a guy i knew was tricked down to the dock and into a boat for a party by two other guys.. he was beaten up and they heated up a big knife which they burned and cutted him with the whole night.
    when he escaped he had to go through some plastic surgery to save his face. these guys had to go to prison... for 6-7 months...
    but they had to move from the village after they were released, because there was quite a few people who was looking for some sort of revenge. it is now 10 yrs ago and they still havnt come back.

one of them attacked another friend of mine and got his jaw broken on 6 places some yrs before, but he didnt learn anything, or maybe he learned to not be alone when attacking other people...

6 yrs back i was sitting here in my house, in my livingroom when 2 strangers came in and asked where the party was...

it was a village party with live music that evening and they was looking for it. I told where it was and then they asked if i was alone and after saying yes, they started to ask if they could buy drugs in the village and starting being rude.

I told them to get the hell out of my house and they refused, so i punched them out, and as i was kicking them out the front door a friend came to visit me and all he said was "whats these fu**ing ho**s" and then he kicked them down the stairs, and we went in for a cognac hehehe

I've been in fights, attacked with knife 2 times and once shot at, and it has all happend at places with a population less than 10000.

so things like that can as stated above, happend anywhere. It don't have to be in a big city or something like that. I think that no matter where you are, sometimes you may need to fight to be able to feel safe.
    Who's to doom when the judge himself is dragged before the bar

Life is short. Be happy today! silver trophybronze trophy Sagewing's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I live in New Zealand for 2 years and it's very safe, yes. When I was younger I lived in Kerala, India for a year and it was extremely safe around our area but not quite as much these days. I've lived all over Thailand and it's very safe in most places, sometimes unsafe if you go to the wrong areas. I lived in Hong Kong for a while and it's also safe in some places, unsafe in other places.

Most of my life was spent here in the US - in Los Angeles, Louisiana, New York City, and Maryland. The US is so much more diverse than people realize - I think that both the safest and most dangerous places I've experience have both been here in America.

www.logoraman.com electroskan.com's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagewing View Post
    When I was younger I lived in Kerala, India for a year and it was extremely safe around our area but not quite as much these days.
    Where? When (year)?
    LOGORAMAN
    [FB] [TWITTER] [BEHANCE] [FLICKR]

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Its Tanzania! Which is in east Africa

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i second the opinion of antartica

Quote Originally Posted by igniz View Post
    antartica... or hawaii for me..

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    and also new zealand too!

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the Vatikan
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    the Vatikan
    After reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, I'm not too sure anymore. The film is due next year btw, should be interesting.

I'll second Switzerland, both politically, and I don't think there are more social problems than anywhere else.

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    After reading "Angels and Demons" by Dan Brown, I'm not too sure anymore. The film is due next year btw, should be interesting.

I'll second Switzerland, both politically, and I don't think there are more social problems than anywhere else.
    You're kidding right? Its fictional.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i've heard that luxembourg do have a very small percentage of crime rate.

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd like to think I was. Then again, the question is fictional enough as well to qualify for such an answer.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    California is one of the safest place

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Switzerland....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek View Post
    The safest country is clearly the country in which homo sapiens has never set foot on.
    this is sad, but so true
    I think the Northern European countries are safe comparing to the others...
    and Canada

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Phil, though some red cross members was recently kidnapped here by terrorist...T_T
    Uniquely FILIPINO... See how talented and creative Filipinos are.
    http://www.smalltym.com
    Custom Web Designs:
    http://proweaver.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje View Post
    I felt like I could walk down the streets of Singapore with 20 dollar bills hanging out of my pockets and no one would even look at me funny. After 4 weeks, I stopped in Hawaii for two days on the way back and was walking around and had a weird edgy feeling. Oh yea, back in the USA have to watch out for myself.
    Hey, you've been to Singapore, haven't you?

Yea, there is a famous quote saying, "Singapore is a 'fine country". I'm sure you know what that means. Haha!

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Liechtenstein is save unless you are afraid of cows and mountains

^^^^ yo ball crushing banana
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norway

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    its got to be new zealand right im mean come on people!?