SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 159
  1. #1
    SitePoint Evangelist
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Posts
    443
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Question What is the safest country in the world today?

    - knife attack (teenagers)
    - burglary
    - shooting
    - terrorism
    ..... etc.

    What do you think?

  2. #2
    Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Lancaster University, UK
    Posts
    7,062
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, you've just described the UK.

    The safest country is probably in either mainland western europe or australasia.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

  3. #3
    SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    r937's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    39,273
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    canada FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!1
    rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

  4. #4
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by r937 View Post
    canada FTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!1!1
    It's getting off the hook here in Alberta, with all the oil money and growing economy.

    I'd say Iceland is definitely one of the safest and full of rich natural resources, like hot water geysers and stuff. Scandinavian countries were one of the safest in the world.
    <and the rest got snipped></snip>
    Last edited by spikeZ; Sep 1, 2008 at 12:21. Reason: unecessary really

  5. #5
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    373
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think ALASKA is the safest place...

  6. #6
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  7. #7
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The safest country is clearly the country in which homo sapiens has never set foot on.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  8. #8
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    The safest country is clearly the country in which homo sapiens has never set foot on.
    Well let's see.

    There are places on Earth I can drop you today and you'd die in an hour from the heat.

    And three-quarters of the Earth's surface, if I drop you now you're dead in ten minutes from hypothermia.

    There are remote parts of Canada where something big and grizzly may eat you in about a week.

    Or there are un-inhabited islands in the tropics where you'd be taken by nothing but insects in less than 24 hours.

    There are places in the Amazon Rainforest where no known humans have ever stepped. But I dare you to swim in the rivers.

    Or there are parts of Africa where no men have ever ventured. But I dare you to walk around at night.




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  9. #9
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Well let's see.

    There are places on Earth I can drop you today and you'd die in an hour from the heat.

    And three-quarters of the Earth's surface, if I drop you now you're dead in ten minutes from hypothermia.

    There are remote parts of Canada where something big and grizzly may eat you in about a week.

    Or there are un-inhabited islands in the tropics where you'd be taken by nothing but insects in less than 24 hours.

    There are places in the Amazon Rainforest where no known humans have ever stepped. But I dare you to swim in the rivers.

    Or there are parts of Africa where no men have ever ventured. But I dare you to walk around at night.




    Certainly true. But none of the examples you have provided are threats to humans by humans. And as I understood it - at least from the examples CS geek has given, this thread was more directed towards social - more importantly - human-triggered violence/threats.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  10. #10
    SitePoint Zealot Bannaz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    146
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Finland.
    Bannaz - Flash Banner Design
    █ Leading designers in online advertising.
    www.bannaz.com

  11. #11
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    Certainly true. But none of the examples you have provided are threats to humans by humans.
    Exactly.

    The safest country is clearly the country in which homo sapiens has never set foot on.
    So if you're there trying to tell me that humans are these disgusting, mindless creatures, wandering around looking for something to steal, rape, kill or maim, I'd like to point out that there are more important things to worry about. And the most deadly things on Earth, come from Nature itself.

    Human-triggered violence and threats are nothing. I dare you to arm-wrestle a koala.




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  12. #12
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    I'd say Iceland is definitely one of the safest and full of rich natural resources, like hot water geysers and stuff. Scandinavian countries were one of the safest in the world.
    <and the rest got snipped></snip>
    Nice, post edited and I was issued a warning for stating nothing but verifiable truth. Censorship at its best...

  13. #13
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Humans are Nature and I am not trying to tell you (or anyone else for that matter) anything. I am merely giving my point of view.


    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    Exactly.



    So if you're there trying to tell me that humans are these disgusting, mindless creatures, wandering around looking for something to steal, rape, kill or maim, I'd like to point out that there are more important things to worry about. And the most deadly things on Earth, come from Nature itself.

    Human-triggered violence and threats are nothing. I dare you to arm-wrestle a koala.




    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  14. #14
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    Humans are Nature
    True, true. I should have phrased that differently.

    and I am not trying to tell you (or anyone else for that matter) anything. I am merely giving my point of view.
    And I'm merely pointing out that your point of view is wrong. So there. I win.




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  15. #15
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun(OfTheDead) View Post
    And I'm merely pointing out that your point of view is wrong. So there. I win.
    Oh, I see. So often the way, isn't it.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  16. #16
    SitePoint Wizard drhowarddrfine's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    3,438
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by core8284 View Post
    I think ALASKA is the safest place...
    Yeah! Let's all sing the Alaskan national anthem!

  17. #17
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by core8284 View Post
    I think ALASKA is the safest place...
    Just don't watch 30 Days of Night prior to moving in

  18. #18
    eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I felt like I could walk down the streets of Singapore with 20 dollar bills hanging out of my pockets and no one would even look at me funny. After 4 weeks, I stopped in Hawaii for two days on the way back and was walking around and had a weird edgy feeling. Oh yea, back in the USA have to watch out for myself.
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

  19. #19
    Non-Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    20
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sweatje View Post
    I felt like I could walk down the streets of Singapore with 20 dollar bills hanging out of my pockets and no one would even look at me funny. After 4 weeks, I stopped in Hawaii for two days on the way back and was walking around and had a weird edgy feeling. Oh yea, back in the USA have to watch out for myself.
    I've heard that of Singapore. They have very tough punishments for many crimes, to the point that people are scared to possibly commit a crime because they could be severely punished.

  20. #20
    eschew sesquipedalians silver trophy sweatje's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Iowa, USA
    Posts
    3,749
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitler View Post
    I've heard that of Singapore. They have very tough punishments for many crimes, to the point that people are scared to possibly commit a crime because they could be severely punished.
    Same time they caned that American kid for spray painting the cars, they hung 6 drug dealers, that did not seem to make the talk show news though.

    No chewing bubble gum either
    Jason Sweat ZCE - jsweat_php@yahoo.com
    Book: PHP Patterns
    Good Stuff: SimpleTest PHPUnit FireFox ADOdb YUI
    Detestable (adjective): software that isn't testable.

  21. #21
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    Ok, have your victory, I'll congratulate you later. All the philosophy studying just went down the drain. I knew it!
    ah... You just have to have the last word, don't you, kohoutek.

    Fine, I'll let you have it. I've already won the argument.


    My philosophy is that humans need to start being proud of ourselves. We're animals, yes. We're of Nature. But we're not mindless beasts. We're creators of our own destinies, and not subject to the whim of chance, or "fate", or the mystical. And we need to start being proud of that fact, instead of afraid of it, or shunning it as evil.

    We are who we are... the good and the bad. And if we can accept that... and stop being ashamed of that reality... we become free to do whatever it is that makes us happy, and makes us fullfilled... without guilt. Without shame.

    The only rule is the one you would have read while you were apparently stalking me
    :P


    But anyways, I've let you have the last word. You may go now.




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  22. #22
    Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Shaun(OfTheDead)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Trinidad
    Posts
    3,746
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kohoutek
    Oh, I see. So often the way, isn't it.
    Too late, I saw it. haha




    Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

    Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

  23. #23
    Mazel tov! bronze trophy kohoutek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Hamburg, Germany
    Posts
    4,248
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Saying that you are right and I'm wrong is not really winning an argument.
    In fact, it's not an argument at all.

    Oh, and I agree that we're good and bad or - as I would put it, ugly and beautiful - but in order to circumvent the bad (or the ugliness), we'd need to rid ourselves of us. That is all I said. Platonian.

    I wanted to give you that bottle of champagne I had lying in my attic somewhere, but then decided to drink it myself.
    Maleika E. A. | Rockatee | Twitter | Dribbble



  24. #24
    SitePoint Member thurrz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    9
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think on Oceania region

  25. #25
    SitePoint Enthusiast devAngel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Posts
    68
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If nature is out f the question, I think Hawaii is the safest place
    sig space open...


Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •