SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Auto-run Flash from USB stick upon insertion

Is it possible to create a Flash movie, stored on a Flash memory USB stick, that will auto-run when inserted into a Windows-based computer. I've already looked into the partitioning issue.

I am tasked with creating a "splash" screen that shows a few marketing messages and the contents of the USB drive (brochures, case studies, video, etc.)

I have *some* familiarity with Flash but would like someone to point me in the right direction.

SitePoint Evangelist pedrodonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Have you tried adding an autorun.inf file to the memory stick? I know it works 100% when used with cd-roms etc but i haven't tried it with a memory stick, worth a shot.

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks - I am looking at that.

What I think I really want is a way to automatically load a web page into the browser (from the USB flash drive)....has anyone done that?

SitePoint Evangelist pedrodonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could launch a URL using the getURL method once your splash screen comes to an end. That should open up the website in the users default browser.

Just to re-cap:

You create your splash screen in flash and when the splash screen reaches the second last frame of the timeline you can have it launch a URL like so:

Code Actionscript:
    getURL("http://www.yoursite.com");

and then maybe you could ad an fscommand to the last frame to close the executable file automatically like so:

Code Actionscript:
    fscommand("quit");

Publish as an executable file and then get the autorun.inf file to run the executable.