0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't there also "the sky falls down"?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_daemon View Post
    Yea there was, but I think they meant meteors and asteroids, either that or 'The Day of The Triffids'.
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well, todays the day. Best of luck everyone, it's been nice knowing you all.

Off Topic:

You do realise if it works and we all live I'll look a right nannana
    "Don't you just love it when you solve a programming bug only to create another."

SitePoint Enthusiast WickedGoddess's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's Sept. 10 already and it's raining very hard here... could it be the sign???

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy C. Ankerstjerne's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Definitely. Rain is a clear sign of an air humidity of more than 100% in the lower atmosphere.
    Christian Ankerstjerne
    <p<strong<abbr/HTML/ 4 teh win</>
    <>In Soviet Russia, website codes you!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Well either the world has ended and we have all been sucked into the blackhole that replaced the Earth a short while ago OR there were problems with the equipment and it didn't form the blackhole like it was supposed to OR there was never any danger in the first place.

If the first of these is the case then now that we are all dead there shouldn't be any problem in our all reaching a billion billion billion posts on SitePoint so the developers had better start thinking about expanding some of the fields some time in the next millennium or so.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My BBC Radio 4 internet coverage of the switching on ceremony was 1 minute behind my colleague's 10 feet away. Is this a sign of time dilation as the black hole's event horizon expands?

SitePoint Addict silentcollision's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One of the most exciting physics experiments of all time.

The speculators fail to understand the fundamentals of what its doing.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lol I was waiting for this. However, I too was scared a bit since I don't know much about what the scientists were upto or how they are doing what they are doing.

Now I am also waiting for the big day when the real experiments will start takes place. I hear, that would be in october first week or so...

This would perhaps be another big step in mankinds history as it tries to uncover many of the natures secert.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Well either the world has ended and we have all been sucked into the blackhole that replaced the Earth a short while ago OR there were problems with the equipment and it didn't form the blackhole like it was supposed to OR there was never any danger in the first place.

If the first of these is the case then now that we are all dead there shouldn't be any problem in our all reaching a billion billion billion posts on SitePoint so the developers had better start thinking about expanding some of the fields some time in the next millennium or so.

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the good news is that everything looks exactly the same in the blackhole from what I can tell here. The big bang experiment is still to come so there may be another chance for catastrophy later on today
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

✯✯✯ silver trophybronze trophy php_daemon's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by silentcollision View Post
    The speculators fail to understand the fundamentals of what its doing.
    Depends on who you call the spectators. I think those who spectate understand that pretty darn well. If you call spectators people who happen to live today, they don't spectate; you have to remember that some people out there don't know simple things such as what continent they live on or what a computer is.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh btw, when they were showing the control rooms, I saw Windows. How about that? One BOD here and there and you would've had a chance to infact have a nice end of the world after all

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh btw, when they were showing the control rooms, I saw Windows. How about that? One BOD here and there and you would've had a chance to infact have a nice end of the world after all

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As I know nothing about what they are doing scientifically, I'm not sure what will happen. But messing with Mother Nature is never a sure bet of any kind. They are venturing into a realm that they have not explored to this level before and I have a gut feeling that something is going to tip the balance somewhere. Too many ifs that need to be looked at before doing something like this. Science is not exact.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Science was a LOT less exact when they first traveled the seas, when they discovered America, etc. It was then when they could "tip the balance" and cause many harm (which they did) - for thousands of years it was pure trial and error.

Where the science is now and the fact that they are able to construct such remarkable devices is alone to tell how precise it is and how safe we are that ever before.

It is funny how people when encountered with something they don't know, run and scream and clam doomsday and what not. Instead, how about read up some, watch videos, there is enough information explaining the ideas, theory, results, risks, tests, conclusions to give even the biggest sceptics a calm sleep.

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by php_deamon
    Depends on who you call the spectators. I think those who spectate understand that pretty darn well. If you call spectators people who happen to live today, they don't spectate; you have to remember that some people out there don't know simple things such as what continent they live on or what a computer is.
    He said 'speculators' not spectators

I heard they're not actually going to start colliding the protons until tomorrow morning so 15 more hours to live

Theoretical Physics Student bronze trophy Jake Arkinstall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Science is fascinating!

How they manage to fire something two things, each approximately the size of a femtometer (0.000000000001mm) round a 17km circular tube over 11,000 times per second - and crash them together to recreate the first stages of the Big Bang, simply to find the Higgs particle to solve the incompatibility of the science of the big and the science of the small!

This is the kind of thing that makes me want to study Quantum Physics in university.
    Jake Arkinstall
    "Sometimes you don't need to reinvent the wheel;
    Sometimes its enough to make that wheel more rounded"-Molona

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oi! Dyslexia. Secret shame.

Yes, I was hoping they would but that wasn't on the plans, they have launched two beams and had them run full circles, a huge event that it was successful already.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arkinstall View Post
    This is the kind of thing that makes me want to study Quantum Physics in university.
    The things they make you learn though, can easily knock off that desire.

I had a course on Quantum Physics in university, too bad it wasn't nearly as exciting.

#titanic {float:none} silver trophy
    Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I had a course on Quantum Physics in university, too bad it wasn't nearly as exciting.
    I am sure that's because you didn't have a blog where you could scare everyone predicting the end of the world

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That would've helped!

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I think I read that in old Asterix and Obelix comics... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurri...Vitalstatistix
    The chief of the Village only had one fear "that the sky would fall on his head tomorrow"

Of course, I know that I am one of the few that read these comics but I couldn't help but think of them when you mentioned it.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey is the world still alive? I can't tell or not.

on a serious note:

The particle accelerator will not be turned on full power until another few months

HAHA!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by molona View Post
    I think I read that in old Asterix and Obelix comics... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recurri...Vitalstatistix
    The chief of the Village only had one fear "that the sky would fall on his head tomorrow"

Of course, I know that I am one of the few that read these comics but I couldn't help but think of them when you mentioned it.
    I read those too! I even have a few Latin versions at home. Now that's geeky
    Cheap web hosting directory listing the cheapest web hosting

Submit articles to an article directory

Mentioned
    251 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hostpitable View Post
    I read those too! I even have a few Latin versions at home. Now that's geeky
    Off Topic:

Then we are two of a kind or I should say my father? He knew various languages and had the collection in latin, german and french... only a few left, I am afraid