SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: Anti-Wordpress

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Anti-Wordpress

Does wordpress drive anyone else crazy? I don't know If I've ever found a site in wordpress that feels organized -- except ndesign-studio and alistapart.

It feels like wordpress is goign to turn into the old link-farm sites that are now almost non-existant, I hope something better comes out because everytime I come across one flooded in the search engines I never stick around or bookmark because they are about 10 feet long and have a million categories.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Does wordpress drive anyone else crazy? I don't know If I've ever found a site in wordpress that feels organized
    There's good plugins available for better organising categories and pages, it's just that most bloggers wouldn't know about them or where to begin with installing and using them.

Still the best open source CMS imo.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think that's more of a problem with the themes. It's just that WordPress has so many features that people feel the desire to include every single feature in their templates

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Haha, yeah every feature included may be a large part of the problem and lack of experience, i hope more clean layouts come along soon -- I do like the admin panel of WP it is pretty good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    Does wordpress drive anyone else crazy? I don't know If I've ever found a site in wordpress that feels organized -- except ndesign-studio and alistapart.
    imho that's dealing with wordrpress theme, and not with wordpress as a software

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is perfectly possible to create wordpress themes in valid strict "xhtml". I've done it. I'd prefer valid strict real html, but a lot of the backend code spits out self closing tags that would require a lot of digging around to fix, so laziness won out and I stuck with "xhtml".
    Ed Seedhouse

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    WordPress is just a platform, a very flexible CMS that works well as a blog out of the box. How it looks is up to the user, they have complete control as there's no required code whatsoever in the theme/template files.

I moved Website Goodies, a 12 year old site of mine, onto WordPress without changing a single URL. WP didn't dictate the organization at all.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And as far as I know, ALA uses Ruby on Rails, not WordPress.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Seedhouse View Post
    It is perfectly possible to create wordpress themes in valid strict "xhtml". I've done it. I'd prefer valid strict real html, but a lot of the backend code spits out self closing tags that would require a lot of digging around to fix, so laziness won out and I stuck with "xhtml".
    hey, I am really crazy about wordpress but stucks when it comes to validating into strict xhtml/css. can u tell me exactly what do you do? I mean the procedure. it will be helpful.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Change the DOCTYPE in the header.php file and make sure you don't use any deprecated (obsolete) elements and attributes. Also check your plugins to ensure they don't use obsolete code as well.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I will use frogCMS anyday over wordpress!!

SitePoint Evangelist Ed Seedhouse's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As Dan says. I also re-wrote the files in the theme directory to be simpler and what I think of as more semantic. And I don't have any add ons.
    Ed Seedhouse