SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

validation issues

I am having strange validation warnings and errors in css and xhtml, first I will start with xhtml:

My webpage has many links, and all of the xhtml errors and warnings are about those links.
    webpage: http://www.onmedias.com/tv/schedule/
    Validation link:
    http://validator.w3.org/check?uri=ht...Inline&group=0

you see many errors such as:
    Line 33, Column 94: cannot generate system identifier for general entity "broadcastType".
    …iotimes.com/ListingsServlet?event=13&broadcastType=1&jspGridLocation=/jsp/tv_
    and
    ine 33, Column 107: reference not terminated by REFC delimiter.
    …istingsServlet?event=13&broadcastType=1&jspGridLocation=/jsp/tv_listings_grid

these are only links from other websites I am copying and pasting, this is not my code.... so do I need to worry about these errors?

Next the CSS.
    Warnings (2)
    URI : http://www.onmedias.com/layout/lay0.css
    51 Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts .content and #sector
    219 Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts .content and h4

It says I am using same background color for font and background, which if you look at my site you can see I am not, I just have some white panels with dark text over it, and some dark panels with white text over it..... never white text over white panels(invisible) which validator is warning me about. I have heard search engines ban websites that use invisible text -so if the validator thinks I might be using invisible text, is it possible that search engines will also misinterpret my webpages in the same way and ban me or give me low ranking?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Note: Yes I already know the site looks f*** up in ie7 and even more so in ie6. I havn't got round to the ie debugging stage yet.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is a common validator complaint. The ampersands indicate the beginning of an entity, eg. & so the validator thinks &broadcastType=1 is a mal-formed entity without an ending semi-colon. The ampersands need to be & instead of only &

The "same color" warnings although not errors, alert you to possible problems that might exist with not being able to see "same color" on "same color".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks I know why it is there, about the invisible text thing, but how about it making me being banned or low ranked by search engines? I heard SE's ban websites that use invisible text(as it can be used as a black hat method). So could search engines misinterpret my website in the same way the validator warned me about? Or are search engines smarter than validators in detecting what color font is actually on what color background?

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I don't know about whether or not search engines consider it, but it should be fixed for accessibility reasons anyway. It's easy enough to do, just explicitly give them both color and background-color that are different.
    51 Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts .content and #sector
    219 Same colors for color and background-color in two contexts .content and h4
    Code:
    .content {
    float:right;
    width:725px;
    background-color:#ffffff;
    padding:5px;
    }
    #sector {
    font-family:arial;
    font-size:0.8em;
    margin-top:6px;
    padding-left:13px;
    color:#ffffff;
    }
    h4 {
    color:#ffffff;
    font-family:arial;
    font-size:12px;
    margin-bottom:3px;
    font-weight:normal
    }
    So if there's a .content in a #sector or h4, or a #sector or h4 in a .content, that could be a problem.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be difficult to do that becuase I have a green panel with white text over it, and a white panel with black text over it, I suppose I could make one of the white's grey, but then the contrast between the other color would be low(green-grey, or grey-black) and people would not be able to see the text well.
    Basically the header section has green panels with white text over it for links etc and the main content panel beneath is white with black text over it. I like the color scheme as it is and I have seen many sites that use both dark text over bright panels and also bright text over dark panels in other sections on a webpage.

Mentioned
    160 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I didn't mean you could change a white to a grey, but that you could specify different color and background-color values for each class/id/tag so the validator (and browser) would know there was no problem. In any case, note that they are warnings that indicate possible problems. As long as you know everything is OK, then you don't need to worry about it. Let's hope you're smarter than the validator, it's only a tool to help you, not run your life.