User Tag List

Thread: Email Link

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Email Link

So, I am on page 45 of Build your own website the right way and we just learned how to create an email link.
    I did it and it worked fine, but when I go to test it I have no idea how to send the email???
    When I click the link, microsoft outlook pops up and the to: field is already filled in. I'm guessing that my computer just automatically selects outlook and uses the email on the computer that is associated with the outloook program.
    I have to say that this is very annoying. I've seen it on other websites and I don't like this set up.
    Where can I find an example of good code that allows the user to enter their own email and make it easy for them to submit an email to me?

Gracias to whoever answers this!

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    What you are seeing is the way email links (using <a href="mailto:...) work.
    Hopefully, (I don't have the book so I don't know) the book gets into form pages that will send an email without the need to use this technique.
    IMHO, don't dwell on it now, just keep going. If it doesn't show a better way for contact later on in the book, search for "formmail".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by BrianBam View Post
    Where can I find an example of good code that allows the user to enter their own email and make it easy for them to submit an email to me?
    What you are asking for is a contact form. The book you are reading will probably show you how to create a form, but getting the form to send is another matter. That requires some kind of script, like PHP etc. There are free scripts on the internet, but ideally you will use one that checks that what has been entered into the form is valid and not malicious spam. All sorts of other features are also available, like sticky fields (in case an error is made in typing the email address etc...) but this is getting into deeper waters.

As Mittineague said, you can look up "formmail". I myself write simple scripts for sending emails in forms etc, but I charge a little for the service. Let me know if interested.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Outlook exspress- is your default email. You can change the settings in your computer so it doesnt automatically open up the email client.http://www.hotscripts.com/ There are tons of email scripts on this website.You can configure some of these scripts to be on your website so your clients can contact you using a form.
    Blake Tallos - Software Engineer for Sanctuary
    Software Studio, Inc. C# - Fanatic!
    http://www.sancsoft.com/

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks. I am actually having some people build a pretty complex site for me now. I am just trying to learn how to do some things myself, so that I don't have to ask them to do a bunch of little changes.

Programming Team silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Even if you don't "do" everything yourself it's a good idea to at least understand things. Then you're in a better position to delegate.