Thread: Table Errors

SitePoint Evangelist Worldbuilder's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Table Errors

Hi all,

Whew! It's been a long time since I've stopped in... And rusty, I am! I recently started a new position and one of my duties is taking over the organization website. And it's, well, awful... But before I go completely revamping it, I had some minor things to change.

http://lfdcs.org/facultystaff.html I am working on and it is generating the following W3C Validator errors.
    Validation Output: 2 Errors

1. Error Line 496, Column 34: end tag for "TABLE" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this.

</td>

* You forgot to close a tag, or
    * you used something inside this tag that was not allowed, and the validator is complaining that the tag should be closed before such content can be allowed.

The next message, "start tag was here" points to the particular instance of the tag in question); the positional indicator points to where the validator expected you to close the tag.
    2. Info Line 208, Column 33: start tag was here.

<table class="style7"

3. Error Line 515, Column 34: end tag for "TABLE" omitted, but its declaration does not permit this.

</td>

* You forgot to close a tag, or
    * you used something inside this tag that was not allowed, and the validator is complaining that the tag should be closed before such content can be allowed.

The next message, "start tag was here" points to the particular instance of the tag in question); the positional indicator points to where the validator expected you to close the tag.
    4. Info Line 171, Column 46: start tag was here.

<td align="left" valign="top"><table width="611" border="0" cellpadding
    As you can see, the large white background extends too far right. You can see wat it's supposed to look like on any other page of the site. I think this is due to the footer being misaligned on the page I'm working on.

Can someone please give me a hand with this? I think fixing the validator errors will take care of this, but I'm not sure. I'm very rusty in design as a whole, but I haven't worked with tables in years... So it's even worse.

Thanks!

Chris

dooby dooby doo silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    158 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    hmmm, aaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhh!

OK now that is out of my system, add
    Code:
                </tr>
                </table>
    after line 171
    Code:
    </table></td>
    and see what happens
    Mike Swiffin - Community Team Advisor
    Only a woman can read between the lines of a one word answer.....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For line 171, I have:
    Code:
    <td align="left" valign="top"><table width="611" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
    Is that what you're seeing, too?

Sorry, I'm confused...

And I know your frustration! LOL! It's pretty code terrible... But that's what happens when school teachers build websites, I guess...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nevermind... Tell you the truth, I just reverted to the original code and despite creating even more errors, it works. So I'm just going to leave it until I get a chance to completely rebuild the site. Thanks, though!

Chris