User Tag List

Thread: Simple CMS?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Simple CMS?

I've been learning drupal, but feel its 2 much for a simple 5-20 page site. Just looking for something that can do the following.

Create/Edit content
    Pages can be added to the menu
    Not too difficult to theme
    User Friendly
    Blog if possible
    Updatable News Section
    Admins of different levels can be created (not as important)

Just something pretty basic really. I've thought about wordpress, but I don't know which plugins I would use. Also curious about what else is out there other than wordpress.
    Last edited by JaymeNYC; Aug 30, 2008 at 13:22.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, it does sound like Drupal is too much horsepower for the purpose. I see no reason not to go ahead and use WordPress - there's no particular need to use any plugins at all, especially for a simple site, unless you have a special function in mind that you want to accomplish. And if that's the case, there's a huge community of WP users online (in this forum alone!) who are more than happy to help you walk through the options.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjleaman View Post
    Yes, it does sound like Drupal is too much horsepower for the purpose. I see no reason not to go ahead and use WordPress - there's no particular need to use any plugins at all, especially for a simple site, unless you have a special function in mind that you want to accomplish. And if that's the case, there's a huge community of WP users online (in this forum alone!) who are more than happy to help you walk through the options.
    WP is definately an option, I haven't used it as a cms but I have used it for a blog so I am familiar with it. Still lookin for options incase I need an option wordpress or drupal doesnt have, I have more choices for CMSes when I create sites 4 ppl

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about Injader? I'm in the middle of setting up a new site using that (open source) CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    try modxcms.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    never heard of those 2, ill take a look at them !

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Injader doesnt have much of a community, so a little unsure about it and Modx might be a little too difficult for my clients after I tested the Demo.

CMSMS and Pluck CMS seem like good choices, but would like to know what others think about them.

I'm open to other suggestions if anyone has any

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have clients who love Etomite (ModX is a fork of Etomite), but for real simplicity as a CMS I really like FrogCMS

-Tim

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by masm50 View Post
    I have clients who love Etomite (ModX is a fork of Etomite), but for real simplicity as a CMS I really like FrogCMS
    Funny, I'd never heard of FrogCMS until this week - and now this is the fourth time that someone's mentioned it! Guess that means it's time to check it out

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    skybluecanvas
    snews

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rjleaman View Post
    Funny, I'd never heard of FrogCMS until this week - and now this is the fourth time that someone's mentioned it! Guess that means it's time to check it out
    Yup

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    check out SilverStrip CMS...I just found it on the weekend and it looks promising...

(I don't have enough forum posts to add a link to it, so silverstripe dot com to check it out)
    -Jeremy

From Italy with love silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    163 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    If you want to look at more CMS's, take a look here: http://opensourcecms.com/

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Silverstripe seems like a nice user friendly option..has any1 used it? does it produce valid xhtml?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Re: SliverStripe

That was my feeling from the demo, that it is a nice user-friendly interface. But as for using it, I haven't even installed a test version yet.

We currently use Joomla on our main website, but are thinking of switching to another CMS... our main options on the table are Drupal and Modx.. but now were are also looking at Silverstripe. It does many things out of the box that Joomla doesn't (or that you need 3rd party components to accomplish)

Such as Page History (rollbacks), Draft website (so changes don't go live to public), and the ability to link to other pages within the website easily (personally I can't understand why Joomla can't do this yet).
    -Jeremy

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also as for the traffic it can handle it is being used for the "Democratic National Convention" website. So it seems to be able to perform under high traffic usage.
    -Jeremy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've had a little play with silverstripe and found it impressive and very easy to use but quite slow, i.e. it seemed unresponsive. There could be other factors here of course. I must say that it was very easy to set up a test installation and well worth a look.

I'm now looking at cmsfromscratch and cushycms (I'm not allowed to give url yet - sorry).

It seems like a never-ending slog to find the right cms. Wordpress does seem to be moving in that direction and it has a certain elegance and many fans.
    Good luck.
    HTML is just Hot Metal without the vowels.
    What this means, nobody knows.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeycampling View Post
    I've had a little play with silverstripe and found it impressive and very easy to use but quite slow, i.e. it seemed unresponsive. There could be other factors here of course. I must say that it was very easy to set up a test installation and well worth a look.

I'm now looking at cmsfromscratch and cushycms (I'm not allowed to give url yet - sorry).

It seems like a never-ending slog to find the right cms. Wordpress does seem to be moving in that direction and it has a certain elegance and many fans.
    Good luck.
    thx 4 the reply. I'm still looking for the right cms, so I'll have a look at the ones you mentioned

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why don't you try WP REMIX.. its nice and really user friendly (which I strongly recommend).. or else, u can go with silverstripe as suggested by JaymeNYC.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am actually going to start using frogCMS this looks awesome

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JREAM View Post
    I am actually going to start using frogCMS this looks awesome
    what kind of website are you using it for?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JaymeNYC View Post
    what kind of website are you using it for?
    im going to use it for a small tutorial site to start, see how it goes, then if i like it use it for a large pr5 site with lots of articles and free stuff