User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recording and uploading audio

Hello,

I'm a pre-newbie to Flash with Flex 3 (I have used SWiSH to develop some simple animations, but have not used Flex yet). I have read through Jack Herrington's tutorial and book, as well as other tutorials. With years of experience with both web development and programming, I am unfazed by learning how to implement my concepts in Flex.

I want to develop a non-commercial foreign-language learning application with Flash. One of the functions will be audio playback and recording of the learning's spoken responses with the microphone object.

If I understand correctly from earlier posts on this forum and others, a Flash media server (Adobe's or else Red5) is required to send user audio back to the server. My institution does not want to (let me) stand up an independent web server for Red5.

1. Is it correct that an Adobe-style media server is absolutely necessary so a client can send audio data to the server?

2. Are there possible workarounds, e.g.

a. save the audio data to a local file on the client, then upload the file

b. read the audio data from the Microphone object and either POST it to a server or upload it with an ad-hoc direct socket connection (I envision a PHP script to save the data to a MySQL database)

3. If there is no other way to do it, why not? (to protect Adobe's market for the media server, I suppose -- or is there a technical issue).

Many thanks for any suggestions (including pointers to sample Flex 3 code)!
    Bill Fletcher

Community Advisor silver trophy

Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

1. Is it correct that an Adobe-style media server is absolutely necessary so a client can send audio data to the server?

Yes. FMS, RED5, wowza, haxevideo are all possibilities

2. Are there possible workarounds, e.g.

a. save the audio data to a local file on the client, then upload the file

No, you cannot record audio from flash to a local file. You could get users to record clips using desktop software on their pc's and then upload of course.

b. read the audio data from the Microphone object and either POST it to a server or upload it with an ad-hoc direct socket connection (I envision a PHP script to save the data to a MySQL database)
    No, audio can only be streamed to an rtmp server.

3. If there is no other way to do it, why not? (to protect Adobe's market for the media server, I suppose -- or is there a technical issue).

The audio stream is in rtmp protocol, so it can't connect to any normal http device.

If you can't set up an independant server, there are hosting companies that provide a 3rd party FMS solution. As another option, you could always have users upload recorded audio files then convert to a useable format via ffmpeg/sox

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EastCoast View Post

Yes. FMS, RED5, wowza, haxevideo are all possibilities
    Thanks so much for confirming and clarifying this -- and for pointing the way to haXevideo . Maybe I can get a special dispensation for that!

Cheers,
    Bill