SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
    SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've been kicked out by ebay a century ago... too bad.

Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman
    If you quote someone and see an [img] tag in their post when there's no image showing up on the page. We actually look for it.
    But you have to use the quote button to see this? I've always typed my quotes manually and I'm sure there are lots of other members who do too (my habit comes from before I noticed there were buttons for that sort of thing lawlz).

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just one way to pick them out easily. The Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox has a button that outlines all images on a page, and one which finds all broken images, which can be useful as well

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by webcosmo View Post
    Now its time for DP members join my forum

Just kidding, thats a whole lot of mess for sure. I am sure there were something going on, otherwise a reputed company like Ebay wouldn't sue some small business owner like Shawn.
    I love to join

Shawn maybe doing the cookie stuffing since he learned it in 2006.

Below is his old post about the coolness of cookie stuffing:

shoemoney.com/2006/09/10/google-teams-up-with-ebay-cookie-stuffer-misspellitcom

Plenty of members at DP were banned because their posts were not likey in favor with Shawn.

SitePoint Enthusiast wussadotcom's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Its Shawn birthday yesterday. Must seem terrible to be in court on birthday ~~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by honeymonster View Post
    Amen. I wish everybody would remember that; and also keep in mind that when litigation is underway the parties are severely restricted in what they can say and comment on. In that light I would certainly understand if they try to moderate discussions on DP.
    One other thing that will be interesting to see is how cookie stuffing is presented in court. There are a lot of different ways it could be, and this seems to be one of a very complex nature. I have already seen different explanations of how it happened depending on the forums I read about it on. Each with their own version.
    Rexibit Web Services
    Don't just build it - CSS it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow kinda crazy, I haven't been around any forums for a few days then I see I miss one of the biggest forum-related stories of the year.

A lot of people on the DP thread commented that cookie stuffers are usually just kicked out of the program. But if these allegations are upheld, this has been going on for a long while and the total amount of damages (including legal costs) could be well into the millions. Even if the defendants could pay it off, their websites may be seized as compensation and to prevent future abuses. Since Ebay specified the websites (Digitalpoint) as a defendant, I think this is exactly what they're after.
    Website related links: Websitebuilding.biz, and Bookmarking
    College Stuff: FreeCollegeBlog.com - Financial Aid & Scholarships

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They didn't specify the Web site itself (well, technically anyway). They went after the company Shawn created that in turn owns the Web site.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is ridiculous! How can Ebay sue digitalpoint for this.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They are certainly going to have a good try.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rexibit View Post
    One other thing that will be interesting to see is how cookie stuffing is presented in court. There are a lot of different ways it could be, and this seems to be one of a very complex nature. I have already seen different explanations of how it happened depending on the forums I read about it on. Each with their own version.
    I want to know also what type of evidences both parties might have, and how they presented it in court ...

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wussadotcom View Post
    How much would the fine be? Also is Shawn really a millionaire. I would guess the law suit would be in millions coz its involving Ebay.
    The fine should be the amount total of stealed commissions since 2006 plus damages. If proven guilty, shawn was became millionaire in part with stealed commissions.

BTW. Happy belated bday Shawn.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Digital point is just one huge scam, almost everything on there is a scam.

Would a site owner really let a bunch of wolves fleece his sheep all day? Not unless he is involved or is making money at it.

The moderators will ban anyone that talks about shutting down scammers, it is obvious they are putting up with it and letting it happen.

You go look at the site and any categories with real web info like css or database has like 3 viewers and the buy trade and sell section will have 600. If you do a search on a real question or problem you will find a ton of threads unanswered while the spam thread go on for pages “Make $7000. a day” “Black hat be rich overnight’ “craigslist spam program” it’s all garbage. Just a pit of lowlife scammers, Digital Point is just a garbage scam site set up to scam people.

Shawn is going down.. Ebay has a lot ties with federal law enforcement and all that type stuff leaves digital trails that they have probably spent years collecting.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Am I wrong or this means that every visitor that visited DP (when this cookie thing was active) and then went to eBay and bought something made this guy (according to eBay) a little richer?

I would like to know what eBay has in their records and how they are going to prove it. Right or wrong this ripple will be big.
    Quasar - Web Development - Free Avatars

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    If you quote someone and see an [img] tag in their post when there's no image showing up on the page. We actually look for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Grossman View Post
    It's just one way to pick them out easily. The Web Developer Toolbar for Firefox has a button that outlines all images on a page, and one which finds all broken images, which can be useful as well
    vBulletin license holders may be interested in a modification I've released on vbulletin.org to help mitigate the cookie stuffing problem. At this point it only helps moderators and admins to detect cookie stuffing. I am planning some more tools for a more pro-active approach in the near future.

You can search for "Cookie Stuffing Detector" on vbulletin.org, since I don't have a high enough post count to post the link here. This works to post the link: <vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189979>
    ~

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WMX View Post
    vBulletin license holders may be interested in a modification I've released on vbulletin.org to help mitigate the cookie stuffing problem. At this point it only helps moderators and admins to detect cookie stuffing. I am planning some more tools for a more pro-active approach in the near future.

You can search for "Cookie Stuffing Detector" on vbulletin.org, since I don't have a high enough post count to post the link here. This works to post the link: <vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=189979>
    This sounds interesting, I'll have a look at it tonight...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TurtleX View Post
    Indeed. Wow. That's where I actually found out about cookie stuffing. They made a post warning people not to do it.
    And that seems to prove they new it was going on on their site. And (allegedly), they haven't prevented it from happening again. This is all extra meat for ebays lawyers, I should think.

bazz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Someone commented on my blog article about the Shawn H./eBay situation that they visited DP today and supposedly some .ico file there contained spyware. Could be some attempt at cookie stuffing.

I really can't see how somebody is using PHP to generate an image file and setting a cookie from eBay's server at the same time. Even using libcurl with cookies enabled, the cookie jar is on the server where the PHP file resides and not in the end users browser. I know this from coding various proxy scripts and coding a webmail app that logs into Yahoo mail and hotmail. Cookies can only be set/read from the originating domain. It's a browser security policy. The only real way I can see to stuff cookies is by using iFrames so that would mean somebody has to have access to the source code of a forum to plant the cookie stuffer.

Well, if any of you got the CJ class action snail mail, this suit against Shawn definitely explains

1.) the class action against CJ
    2.) eBay pulling their affiliate program from CJ and moving it to Pepperjam/EPN

However, I'm sure 90&#37; that any of us long time eBay affiliates with CJ want to say "Thank you" to Shawn <sarcasm> because PJN/EPN are definitely screwed up and not tracking correctly like CJ did. If these guys really forced eBay's hand, it literally cost me thousands of dollars since July.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I hope eBay are just greedy and that we would find out all those accusations are false. I like Shawn and DP, and it's a shame if he really did that - But I'm skeptic.
    Check out my new vcard at RonnyO.com
    BlinkIP.com - The fastest way to your IP

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've heard a lot of bad things about the forum not to call them out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They ban people for silley reasons while they keep the scammers knowing they are scammers.

if some one complain - the one complained is banned.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow why would dp be sued because they them self as a company did not defraud ebay. it was a few bad apples of their members that did. DP and all other forums are merely platforms for discussion and nothing else. DP is not a "black hat" forum as does not encourage such activities. It is a general webmaster forum...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thats quite surprising news to me.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A) This doesnt seem surprising to me.

B) This proves that karma will get to you sooner or later.

Thats all I gotta say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KristiAmbrose View Post
    A) This doesnt seem surprising to me.

B) This proves that karma will get to you sooner or later.

Thats all I gotta say.
    Wow. I was about to mention "karma" and here you go Seriously, I am believing in karma too. One way or the other, but everything that you do will get back to you. So be careful what you wish for and what you do for your wish to come true