Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Opera 10 beta is released

A slew of interesting new features, and a slightly better UI

http://www.opera.com/browser/next/

Opera Turbo for fast browsing on slow connections

Ever felt a Web site was loading slowly? Do you think it will happen again? Think again: Opera Turbo is a compression technology that provides significant improvements in browsing speeds over limited-bandwidth connections like a crowded Wi-Fi in a cafe or browsing through your mobile phone while commuting.

New visual tabs and sleek design

Opera has always been the pioneer for how to deal with tabs in your browser. In Opera 10, we introduce a resizable tab bar. Drag the handle underneath the tabs to reveal thumbnails of your open Web pages. And, because great features should come in beautiful packages: world famous designer Jon Hicks created a whole new look for Opera 10.

Speed Dial your way

You asked for it! Customize your Speed Dial to fit your own needs. Hit the configure button and choose from 4 to 25 favorite Web sites for quick access every time you open a new tab. You can also add a custom background so you feel right at home.

Web integration

If you use a Web mail service as your default mail client, you can tell Opera 10 to do the same. Clicking on e-mail addresses or the Send by Mail in Opera will open the compose page from your Web mail service provider. The same is true with the Feed reader — you can now also add any RSS/atom feed into your favorite online feed reader from within Opera 10.

Resizable search field

Have a clearer view of what you are about to search by simply expanding the size of the search field — because many of life questions require more than two words of space.

40% faster engine and cutting-edge Web standards support

We optimized the new Opera Presto 2.2 engine in Opera 10 to be much faster on resource intensive pages such as Gmail and Facebook. In addition, with an Acid3 100/100 score, Web Fonts support, RGBA/HSLA color and SVG improvements, Opera 10 beta is ready for the next generation of Web applications. Learn more...

More new features in Opera 10

Inline spell-check

Write freely in your Facebook wall, blog or Web mail. Opera 10 beta underlines any misspelled words, so you can express yourself without reservation. By using the popular Hunspell dictionary format, you can be sure you’ll always have the most complete and updated list of all languages.

Auto-update

Opera 10 beta makes it easier than ever to stay up to date with the latest version. With Auto-Update you will be able to choose completely automatic updates or have the option of being notified when an update is ready to install. As always with Opera, it is your choice.

E-mail your way

Opera Mail can now send rich text messages including inline images, styled text, links, and/or custom HTML. You can also delete emails from your POP server after a determined amount of days, so can keep under control of your Web space.

Automated Crash Reporting

Opera is designed to restart and recover all your tabs if a crash occurs. But, now you can easily send us a crash report to help us continue to make Opera the most stable browser around.

Opera Dragonfly evolved

Our Web developer debugging tool is now even better, allowing you to edit the DOM and inspect HTTP headers.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera's servers seem to be overwhelmed at the moment – the link gives a 503 error.

The HTTP headers inspection in Dragonfly sounds very useful. I'm sorry to hear that they've given in and support HTML emails, though.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I am with Tommy in the "deepest sympathies" group for allowing HTML E-mail, While there are a large number of websites which are desperate to use it(however raw it's support is) I really liked Opera for standing up against it's use because quite frankly spam would be nowhere near the problem it is now if e-mail remained plaintext.

However I look forward to trialing the new Opera and having a good poke around!

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The look and feel of Opera10 is really good. Let me install and check it out whether it suits me and how far it is user friendly. Hope this should have come well and work upto my expectation.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just hope the beta doesn't end up being better than the final here. Opera has a history of doing that and for once I wish they'd break with that most unwanted of "traditions".

Sorry to hear about the support for "HTML" email, too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera is a great Internet Browser, but no one ever hears about it. Most people simply go with either Firefox or Internet Explorer. People need to learn that Opera isn't only on there phone.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The browser race seem to be brewing up, more headace for the website designers :0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really. Opera's been around for over a decade now. Anyone worth their salt as a professional quality Web designer/developer would already have included Opera in their testing regimen by now (or be starting to).

Heck, this post was WRITTEN in Opera.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes a web designer would know about it, I'm talking about the common computer user. I'm not saying opera isn't used at all it is the fourth most common browser, after Internet Explorer, Firefox and Safari. Its just the fact that its in forth place, and people tend to use the other browsers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More like 5th or 6th now. Chrome has overtaken Opera (and even Safari) in some markets.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ooops your right, I don't know why i forgot about chrome.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera is good for mobile, if I may be so bold. Opera has also got a lot of functions which are more convenient then others. Then again crome has a way with simplicity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Opera is a very popular browser in Russia. Stats for June: IE7 - 23.6%, FF3 - 19.9%, Opera 9 - 19.5%, IE6 - 18.2%. I hope Opera someday will be "World Browser #1" or at least IE will die.

Grumpy Minimalist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With the exception of the compression and the better rendering engine, I've been using every single one of those features in FireFox for months/years...

SitePoint Guru
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i'm all for the improved web standards support.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Holy ****, it passes the Acid3 test

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tarh View Post
    With the exception of the compression and the better rendering engine, I've been using every single one of those features in FireFox for months/years...
    Natively? Or with a few dozen extensions installed?

I didn't know Firefox had speed dial. Or thumbnails in the tab bar. Or that it passed Acid3.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

whagwan? silver trophybronze trophy akritic's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes Tommy is right.

Also this debate had been had too many times to go over it once again in another thread.

So, apart from other browsers, anyone have some thoughts on the Opera beta?

I like the visual-tabs, but don't feel the need to have them completely expanded - but they are a nice visual aid to browsing.

The new UI needs a little work - the hover action on the address bar seems to be wonky on the icons ( a box appears around the icon itself, but not on the actual icon border which would make more sense)

The new speed dial customisation is also a nice feature, though I suspect I will barely go over 12 for the sake of clarity, however it is nice to have the options.

The Opera Turbo feature is pretty cool I find, since you can set it to 'auto' - meaning it will only come into effect if the connection drops and starts slowing down - just the right time when you might need it.

Also, the improvements to Dragonfly (de-bugger) are a great addition too for those of us who do develop in Opera and test in others.

That's all I can think of right now, but I've only been browsing with it for about 6-10 hours on and off.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rohitg View Post
    The browser race seem to be brewing up, more headace for the website designers :0
    Opera was well placed to dominate the browser market once everyone got fed up with IE - until new web browsers such as Firefox came along. Unfortunately all the fancy features that are native to Opera soon get added as extensions to Firefox where they run almost as well as they do in Opera and so those people using Firefox don't realise that they could switch to an even better browser without having to give up any of the good extensions.

Thestats for my site are currently showing Opera in 6th place.
    Firefox is in the process of overtaking IE for 1st place (less than 2% in it now).
    Google Chrome is a distant 3rd followed closely by Safari, Mozilla, and then Opera.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This will be interesting to see how it competes with firefox

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Opera was well placed to dominate the browser market once everyone got fed up with IE - until new web browsers such as Firefox came along. Unfortunately all the fancy features that are native to Opera soon get added as extensions to Firefox where they run almost as well as they do in Opera and so those people using Firefox don't realise that they could switch to an even better browser without having to give up any of the good extensions.
    Firefox had at least three other major advantages:

1. It's open source and is viewed by many people as the successor to Netscape.

2. It was promoted by a far better public relations campaign, with an anti-Microsoft theme.

3. It was backed by Google, which even paid people for Firefox referrals.

I use Opera as my default browser, but its image is incredibly lame, with an ordinary name and logo. Everyone knows what Firefox stands for, but what does Opera stand for?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geosite View Post
    Everyone knows what Firefox stands for, but what does Opera stand for?
    Firefox - a bloated browser (an improvement over IE but far more bloated than any other browser).

Opera - just about the smallest footprint of any browser while still containing almost all the features of the most bloated of its competition.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

Follow: @AlexDawsonUK silver trophybronze trophy AlexDawson's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    geosite, You are essentially claiming that being the son of a browser held on life support by AOL with a bitter resentment against Microsoft is an advantage (though I would love to know what advantage it gives them, well apart from the anti-MS bregade who moan all the time but secretly use Microsoft products on a daily basis). You are also saying that Opera somehow is less of a browser because you don't think the brand is cool... seriously?

Opera might not have the widest market share but at least anyone who knows something about the web respects it for the fact that it has remained a constant innovator, bloat free system with its preference to help developers. Don't get me wrong, I do like Firefox but the way you are portraying Firefox and Opera is just making you seem quite petty.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexDawson View Post
    geosite, You are essentially claiming that being the son of a browser held on life support by AOL with a bitter resentment against Microsoft is an advantage (though I would love to know what advantage it gives them,
    Round I of the Browser Wars pitted Microsoft against Netscape, and many people were cheering for Netscape (or cheering AGAINST the global bully, Microsoft). It was also commonly believed that it wasn't exactly a fair fight. So when Firefox put on the gloves, it had a fan club already waiting for it. You might think of it as Open Source vs Corporate America.

If the advantage this offers Firefox isn't clear to you, there's no use trying to explain it.

well apart from the anti-MS bregade who moan all the time but secretly use Microsoft products on a daily basis).
    I (and other members of the anti-oil brigade) moan all the time about the oil industry, but that doesn't stop us from "secretly" using fossil fuels on a daily basis. The key word is monopolism. And if your comment about the "anti-MS brIgade" was directed at me, I'm happy to remind you that I upgraded to a Linux server years ago and upgraded to a Mac three years ago.

I have a Windoze netbook, but Opera is my default browser on it, too - and I hope to upgrade to an Android or Mac netbook in the near future.

You are also saying that Opera somehow is less of a browser because you don't think the brand is cool... seriously?
    I said Opera is my default browser. I made it my default browser even before I "secretly" upgraded to a Mac, and it remains my default browser, with Firefox my second favorite.

But market share is another story. IE and Safari hitch a free ride on the Windoze/Mac OS X operating systems, while Firefox became the emblem of the open source/anti-corporate crowd.

Opera is the ultimate orphan. It isn't really open source, since Opera is a corporation, yet it's very tiny (and apparently clean) compared to Microsoft.

Opera might not have the widest market share but at least anyone who knows something about the web respects it for the fact that it has remained a constant innovator, bloat free system with its preference to help developers.
    Don't stop there. Opera isn't associated with corruption, a cosmic lack of security and other things associated with Microsoft. Those are some of the reasons it serves as my DEFAULT BROWSER. But guess what - the world doesn't care what my default browser is. The vast majority of people use a browser other than Opera.

Don't get me wrong, I do like Firefox but the way you are portraying Firefox and Opera is just making you seem quite petty.
    I just stated the simple facts.

Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    Firefox - a bloated browser (an improvement over IE but far more bloated than any other browser).

Opera - just about the smallest footprint of any browser while still containing almost all the features of the most bloated of its competition.
    That's a nice description of my two favorite browsers, but it doesn't answer my question: What does Opera stand for?

A few months ago, Opera got a rare blast of publicity when it allied with the European Union against Microsoft. My hunch is that it was partly a public relations campaign aiming to capture some of Firefox's renegade mystique. I thought it was a very smart move, though probably too little too late.

In the meantime, I expect browser stats to change significantly over the next few years. If Apple's market share continues to increase, then Safari will obviously become more popular. Firefox will probably benefit from the netbook explosion, along with its little brother, Fennec.

Of course, Opera has a stronger presence in the mobile arena than in the desktop arena, so, hopefully, it will continue to flourish in the face of increased competition.

I long promoted Firefox on my websites, then began promoting Firefox and Opera both. I'm now encouraging visitors to use multiple browsers, for a variety of reasons.

Firefox's extensions are a Catch-22: They're so cooll, yet they slow it down. Every time I open Firefox, I have to wait for it to search for upgrades to all the extensions I've installed.

Opera is lean and mean. It's too bad it appeals primarily to geeks. Opera has awesome potential if it could somehow tap into the public consciousness.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I ended up getting the alpha for version 10 last week and gave that a shot. It was rather impressive so I'll definitely be getting the beta version within the next week.

<3 Opera... even though it isn't my primary browser. If Firefox keeps annoying me like it is at the moment then it might just become that.

Quote Originally Posted by rohitg View Post
    Not really.

It all depends on how you build your sites once they are designed. All sites I now design appear almost identical in FF, Opera and Chrome but slightly different with IE. I've never really found problems with the different browsers individually, just a difference with IE who just rarely seems to render things exactly the same as the other browsers.

<3 IE as well... in some way.
    Last edited by chopsticks; Jun 4, 2009 at 01:59.