SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

anchor links , positioning and CSS

am just full of questions today, am I not?

this one should be a simple... maybe. Do absolute positioned anchor (#'s not links) lose their anchor.

<h4><a name="Education">Education</a><a href="#objective">return to top</a></h4>

I wanted the second anchor element to be at the RIGHT while the first remains at the left ( the h4 going all the way across it's container)

seemed like a simple position relative the h4, and absolute position a + a...right? Well it works!! but then when you click on the link nothing happens. if the rule is removed, the links works ( but of course now the button is NOT where I wanted) it seems quite odd as I thought the link was controled by the mark up and not the CSS

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just float the first link to the left, and the other to the right. You will have to define dimensions for it to work, but it can be done.

If you don't mind me asking, why are they in a heading anyway?

Community Advisor silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Dan,
    Thanks for your help. As it turns out it was a problem with Firefox and my archaic way of coding. It was resolved by using ID instead of NAME . I am still not sure how much I liek that new convention.

As for you Q. it's a resume page. H4 are the section headings ( Objective, Summary, what not). It was a longer resume than expected, so I thought back to top buttons would be good, and the best way not to have to restructure the code seem to be to do a search and replace of all the </h4>s for <a>back to top</a></h4>

yeah. I am lazy.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh, sounds nice. Have you thought about jazzing it up with a smooth scrolling script? There's an article here on SitePoint that shows how to do it. http://www.sitepoint.com/article/scr...hly-javascript