SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting stock photos directly from artist

Do any of you ever buy directly from the artist rather than going through a microstock agency?

I'm playing around with setting up a private stock site to license my photos through but I'm curious how much time I should bother investing in it.
    All together I have licensed around 20,000 images over the last couple years through microstock sites. Starting off I would have only a couple thousand images available and be adding anywhere from 200-500 images a month (most of my work is people shots). I'm not thinking "get rich quick" .. I have a full time photography studio and this would simply be an additional source of income for it.

Just curious what your opinions are on this ... good idea or waste of time?
    I'm wanting to collect as many ideas/opinions on this subject as I can so any feedback you guys have would be appreciated.

I do have a working demo online if anyone wants a look .. I just didn't want to post the link and it look like I was just here pimping out my site.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I sell images via microstock as well as through my own website. Now my site isn't set up to be a large stock resource, and I only have a few images available for sale on there. But I do get some sales from time to time, and it's a nice addition to my microstock income. I price my images on my site in such a way that they are cheaper than the microstock sites, but at prices higher than the commissions I'd get from those same microstock sites. The buyer benefits by getting my images cheaper than at the agencies and I benefit by getting a higher commission (100%).

I'd say go for it. If you get a few regular customers who know and like your work, you should have some steady cash rolling in from them. Price the images properly and people will buy them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would always prefer to purchase from stock photography site because i get more variety of images there. So simply i suggest you to go for stock photography sites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by atsa View Post
    I would always prefer to purchase from stock photography site because i get more variety of images there. So simply i suggest you to go for stock photography sites.
    Generally speaking, that's probably the best starting point in looking for an image. Where you can save money, however, is if you find an artist that you particularly like and can get their images cheaper directly. If a customer wants to buy several of newimage's photos, they may be better off going directly through his website if the images are priced lower there.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No offense, but it's a sure waste of time. A prospective buyer will be limited to your style of photos, your selection of available subjects, and your pricing, which is not so competitive, isnt it? Most stock sites have many times more images than what you can have online, spend tons of money marketing them, and their prices are VERY low. Sites like fotolia, shutterpoint, 123rf, dreamstime, istockphoto and a dozen others will let you have a photo for more or less a dollar. Can you compete? Unless you want to spend thousands on AdWords every week, I doubt it.

Tzar
    startstock.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tzartzar View Post
    No offense, but it's a sure waste of time...
    In your opinion. In mine, the extra $200 a month in my PayPal account for literally doing nothing beyond setting up a web page and paying the $5 a month shopping cart service fee is worth the time. And that's with just 2 items in the shop. If I add a few more, who knows.

I don't think anyone is talking about competing with the microstock agencies. This is just an alternative for buyers who frequently buy from a particular artist. Or for those who visit my website from a link on a microstock site and discover that they can get my most popular images cheaper if they buy direct through me. And in my experience, it works.