SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

You Bet Your Life...Really lerxtjr's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Best WordPress Plugin for Mobile/Cell Phone Conversion

What's your favorite plugin for making your WordPress blog posts compatible with computer browsers AND cell phones?

And, did you register a .mobi domain and point people to the mobile version of the posts or something?

Thanks in advance.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So, sort of an update to my own post....

Found this interesting page about a possible plugin:
    http://dev.mobi/article/mobile-frien...with-wordpress

But then read this on the bottom of the page:
    UPDATE: A number of users have reported that this plugin damages their search engine rankings by defaulting to delivering mobile content to the search engine bots. Please bear this in mind before installing the plugin.

Saw another page with a support cry where someone had installed "Wordpress Mobile" plugin and now sometimes when she views her blog with a computer, it shows the mobile code and sometimes when she accesses it through her cell phone, it shows the traditional html site.

So, yet again, I beg the question: what's the "best" plugin to use so that people viewing a wordpress blog through a computer browser see the blog posts properly and when someone views them through a cell phone, the messages adapt and display properly there too?

Why is this important to other readers?

9 million purchases from cell phones during the month of April 2008, that's why. Thatís more than 70% up from April 2007.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most people don't bother with a plugin and just use a mobile style sheet instead.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So does that mean only an additional css file? I don't see how just adding a css file would have anything to do with pulling in content. There would have to be additional pages somewhere designed to use the css file for mobile or convert the whole blog to be only accessible from mobile devices.

And, therefore you would need a whole separate blog location with double entry of each post to have on for a computer browser and another for a mobile device to read it.

I'm sure I'm wrong, so please give me a couple of steps to take in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually you wouldn't. Just a separate stylesheet that would handle the presentation of the existing content only for mobile devices.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The following would give you a different stylesheet for screen, print and handheld use.

HTML Code:
    <link rel="stylesheet" media="screen" href="style.css" type="text/css" / >
    <link rel="stylesheet" media="print" href="print.css" type="text/css" / >
    <link rel="stylesheet" media="handheld" href="handheld.css" type="text/css" / >
    This is the standard way most people deal with printers and mobile devices. It is much easier and ensures that the exact same content is available to your users no matter what tool they use to access the site. Designing mobile (handheld) stylesheets is actually easier than for regular sites as they're usually quite basic. Concentrate on removing as much graphical content as possible; background images declared by CSS are useful here instead of IMG tags which are stuck inside your content and can't be removed/reduced in file size via a different stylesheet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great, I'll give it a whirl and we'll see what happens. Thanks!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My blog uses wordpress with the wordpress mobile plugin from Andy Moore. It's been tweaked quite a bit but overall I have been very happy with it. See it here: http://mobienthusiast.mobi - it is a full site on computer and if you look at it on an emulator or phone it looks completely different. The iPhone shows the computer page, however, not the mobile version.
    This mobile blog has been running since before the first iPhone: mobiEnthusiast.mobi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks ValueAdded. I've seen writeups that search engines get confused by the wordpress plugin method and wind up attempting to index both but of course they can't. So, a traditional browser-based web visitor searches and sees what was designed for the palm and then a person searching on a blackberry comes across the traditional site. Have you experience any conflicts like this? How would a search engine know which one to list for you?

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lerxtjr View Post
    Thanks ValueAdded. I've seen writeups that search engines get confused by the wordpress plugin method and wind up attempting to index both but of course they can't. So, a traditional browser-based web visitor searches and sees what was designed for the palm and then a person searching on a blackberry comes across the traditional site. Have you experience any conflicts like this? How would a search engine know which one to list for you?
    Most people see the web version of my site, including iPhone users. Search engines tend to come in on the web version of the site. If someone comes in on a Symbian or Nokia browser they will see the mobile version. I have not added meta data to the mobile version, but I suppose you could - I would be hesitant to try though, since it is a very touchy bit of php that you are working with and seemingly innocuous things set it off. I have not heard of a computer finding the mobile version of my site. With Opera Mini, it could technically find either version of the site.

Does that help?
    This mobile blog has been running since before the first iPhone: mobiEnthusiast.mobi

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also used wordpress mobile plugin from Andy Moore. It works great.
    Everyone who got where he is has had to begin where he was.
    Cell Phone Reviews
    Blackberry Pearl 8120 Titanium
    Verizon Wireless Blitz