SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question z-index menu issue in IE

Hi,

I'm trying to re-template a little inhouse 'portfolio' site package - but I'm having a problem with the menu in IE7 (and 6, no doubt). I recently had to give the menu bar a z-index because of the logo (overlapping said menu bar) and now the links in the menu aren't clickable... any ideas how I can keep the z-index of the header as a minus, so that the logo can be over it, but without losing the links?

Doesn't seem to matter if the z-index is lower if it's not a minus - it has to be a minus for the logo to appear over the bar.

You can see how it should look in firefox.

It's olliesdolly.co.uk - I'm too much of a newbie to post links it would seem!

Many thanks! Really want to get this finished

lisa x

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Centauri's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cannot see where you have applied any z-indexes....

Currently in IE6, the logo is cut off to the confines of #header, and adding position:relative to the #logo style will fix that up and ensure it stays on top. If you get rid of the clearer div following the logo, the navigation <ul> can be floated right and there would then be no need for the negative top margins on the <li>s (which could also be causing issues).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually played around it with it late last night just before going to bed (UK) and manged to get it working with out the z-indexes - but hadn't looked at IE6 yet (other computer).

Thank you very much for that though Centauri, I'll give it a go as I don't like negative margins!

Lisa x

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lisa, if you don't mind me asking (and I apologize if you do mind), why don't you like negative margins?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess I just think there's often another way to do it - if you saw it coming and factored it in from the offset you might have avoided it.
    I guess basically I just want to rely on any kind of margins as little as possible because of cross-browser issues - why won't the world leave IE6 behind?! lol

Lx

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As long as you're floating your containers in the same direction and don't have non-floated containers adjacent to floated ones, IE is usually fine. I have a demo that uses floats and negative margins to put four columns side by side as an actual layout you can see if you're interested: http://www.dan-schulz.com/temp/4columnlayout/

All it requires is one extra DIV and no hacks/conditional comments or anything like that for IE or any other browser.