SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Friend's site possibly having Viruses, How can we find out and get them removed?

A friend of mine is having some problems with some users, not all of course but a very small amount of viewers including some of her online affiliates that they're contracting Viruses when viewing her website.

She's not up to date or very knowledgeable in website security and doesn't know what to look for or how to deal with it.

Does anyone know of an online scanner that ensures a website's security or let's you know what risks it has?

Neither of us know what to do.

If you have basic knowledge and want to view the site for yourself and possibly let us know where you think the viruses are coming from, we would be extremely grateful. The url is myspacelyts.net

Thank you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    AVG has a feature that puts a green checkmark (or a warning sign) on search results - and it's giving your friend's site a green checkmark, meaning that there were no security issues found, on a Google search of that URL.

Now, I've got ads and pop-ups blocked on Firefox, but my guess is that one of the ads on that site has been serving up something malicious. May be gone now, but may come back at any time if he/she continues with the same ad server.... (Are the affected (infected) users using Internet Explorer, by any chance?)

p.s. Just googled for "website scanner" and found a few options that looked promising, but I haven't tried any of them myself so can't make a suggestion - other than to do the same search, and then pick out a few product names that look like they might be what you need, and then search for user reviews of those...
    Last edited by rjleaman; Aug 29, 2008 at 14:10. Reason: p.s.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Norton Safe Web is showing no threats on that site http://safeweb.norton.com/report/sho...yspacelyts.net but it's very likely, as I said before, that one of the ads on your friend's site served up something bad.