SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

guru needed? programming question.

is it possible to make a voting script that will perform an action on all the users that have voted in it, once the group has reached a number of users limit?(a limit set by the owner).

also, what conditions can be used to debit money from peoples bank account. for example, if they agree to a penalty charge, and then incour a penalty point, it is possible to have money debited from an account automatically if a condition is set within the program?

Utopia, Inc. silver trophy
    Mentioned
    153 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by itseasyaspie View Post
    is it possible to make a voting script that will perform an action on all the users that have voted in it, once the group has reached a number of users limit?(a limit set by the owner).
    Ofcourse. Say the limit is n, then you perfom the action when the nth user has voted. So you have to see each time which vote number is reached, and if it reached the threshold, apply the action on the users that voted (you also have to keep track the voting users than of course )

Quote Originally Posted by itseasyaspie View Post
    also, what conditions can be used to debit money from peoples bank account. for example, if they agree to a penalty charge, and then incour a penalty point, it is possible to have money debited from an account automatically if a condition is set within the program?
    I hope not! Otherwise everybody could take money from everybody this way.

Or, put otherwise, if you somehow figure out how to do it and implement this in your site, I would never subscribe for your site; I'd like to know where my money's going

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    with the penalty point thing , its would work the same way as ebay work with having payments on file. obviously it woulndt be taking random amounts of unexplained money off people, just to make sure certain parts of the business didnt collapse. Also, regarding the nth term and that, i see what you mean, but would it be possible to issue /request/debit money from peoples bank when the limit for the nth group is reached?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On both points it would be possible with a little bit of code.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks very much, are you definately sure i would be able to authorise a debiting scheme/function?
    also, what language would be best?

basically, it would have some similarities to a voting script, in that people would join a group because of its title, and the two options would be join or dont join.
    but a penalty for leaving
    i don't have a clue about programming. where is the best place to get one do you think.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a programmer

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you have a full merchant account with your bank, they usually offer an API that can be accessed programmatically to perform functions such as charging arbitrary amounts based on conditions. Of course, neither the merchant account nor the actual API programming are trivial matters.