SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Understanding and Fixing getElementByID in IE

Okay, I know now that there is an issue with getElementById in IE. But I'm new to javascript and DOM stuff, so I can't seem to figure out what it all means. I've been reading on this site and other programming sites and it doesn't make sense.

I have an admin div that will contain admin links when logged in and a login form when not. So it needs to be available at all times, but I just want it to pop up when the cursor goes near the bottom of the site.

I include the following javascript code from an external file:
    Code:
    function show(id) {
           var e = document.getElementById(id);
           e.style.display = 'block';
    }

function hide(id) {
           var e = document.getElementById(id);
           e.style.display = 'none';
    }

And I have this at the bottom so there is a div (divAdmin) always present to be acted upon.

Code:
    <div id="divAdmin" onmouseover="show('adminBarContents')" onmouseout="hide('adminBarContents')">

<div id="adminBarContents">
    The result is that in Firefox, as I hover over the bottom, the div "adminBarContents" is displayed within the div "adminBar" as expected. Not so in IE. There are no other elements with the same id or name, case sensitive or insensitive.

So, I can't figure out the fix to make it work in IE. Should I add a name element? Or change the id value?

Unobtrusively zen silver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    99 Post(s)
    Tagged
    4 Thread(s)
    It does work on IE in a separate test, so there's something else on your page that's creating a conflict. Please provide a link or some other way for us to see the rest of the page code.
    Programming Group Advisor
    Reference: JavaScript, Quirksmode Validate: HTML Validation, JSLint
    Car is to Carpet as Java is to JavaScript