SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question Study time on the job

Does any one have a "Research time" set aside each week where they work?

At my old company there was an idea of "Research time" set aside for one day a week. I say idea because during the 1.5 years I worked there it never happened. This research time would be used to study new technologies that could be applied to the products and services the company offered. It would have been self-managed. It happened few times when there wasn't much work on but it never became a regular thing.

Or do you have research time set aside for each project that is undertaken?
    a new day, a new beginning
    never follow the crowd, the crowd is poor!

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was at Microsoft, we were actually asked by various levels of management on many occasions to spend time researching instead of coding. A lot of time was put into planning and exploring solutions to problems/requests before a project would happen. Mockups and functional prototypes of various ways to solve the same problem were encouraged and shared around multiple groups for feedback.

So not just "research time" where you can do what you want, although there was sometimes time for that at the end of a big project, but there was plenty of time allocated to research for a specific business reason.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I manage websites for a nonprofit organization and spend about 1 hour per day doing research/training. Everyone at my workplace is funded for training. Most of my coworkers are social workers and spend their training dollars to go to 1 or 2 day trainings out of the office. Their training funds pay for the training and their time away from work. I simply use my training funds to buy my time. I read blogs, magazines, and books, and experiment with new things. Most of the things I read/experiment with are directly related to work projects, but sometimes I research things for personal projects as well (which are also related to my work, just not directly).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I do allot a certain time for my research. In our company we also do trainings and seminars to extend our knowledge according to our expertise...
    sig space open...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All depends how a given workload is...if I'm busy laying something out (I work as a graphic designer with a book distributiob company), I obviously won't have the time to browse any number of design sites for inspiration/techniques/etc to play out, but if it's a slow period of a couple hours, then I think it's quite beneficial to play around and get paid for it! Especially when it can relate

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I spend a lot of time on the daily basis to research on new techniques and tips for my websites. I read stories and article on how people get success and how people fail with different techniques. Also read some updates and news related to SEO

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NetNerd85 View Post
    Does any one have a "Research time" set aside each week where they work?

At my old company there was an idea of "Research time" set aside for one day a week. I say idea because during the 1.5 years I worked there it never happened. This research time would be used to study new technologies that could be applied to the products and services the company offered. It would have been self-managed. It happened few times when there wasn't much work on but it never became a regular thing.

Or do you have research time set aside for each project that is undertaken?
    Here in our company, we are the one who set the RESEARCH TIME. We can make a research time for a whole day!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, almost everyday research at work. I must say, it's part of our job as a SEO to research and at the same time you must work on your promotions to your site.