User Tag List

Thread: CMS question

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS question

Hi!
    I know this question was asked so many times... I must say I've read all the related post here

Which CMS should I choose?

After spending some time reading different forums I have decided to choose between two: Drupal or MODx.
    Right now I create sites by xhtml /css. I think itís great method but most of questions I get from potential clients are about functionalities that can be given easily by almost any CMS (modules like forum, e-commerce, google modules). And of course itís big advantage of CMS that costumer can change the content of the site by himself.

So here are my questions about Drupal:
    1. Is it really suitable only for large projects?
    2. Is it really so hard to learn it - so it could be changed for different projects?
    3. Do clients like the administration part of it?
    4. What do you think about e-commerce modules for Drupal?

And questions about MODx:
    1. What is your general opinion about it?
    2. I read on MODx forum that thereíre some problems with integrating it with SMF (or other) forum. Do you have any experience with this?
    3. Iíve also read thereís new release of MODx. Do you know something about it?

And general question what would be your choice?

Thanks for any answer.
    snecz
    Warsaw - the city that survived its own death.
    EMM8 - Profesjonalne Strony Internetowe
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've never used MODx, so I can't offer any insight into it. But as for as Drupal goes:

1. Is it really suitable only for large projects?

I don't think so. It works fairly well as just a simple blog, but it may seem like overkill on the back-end once you start downloading the necessary modules and their dependencies. There's no image support or WYSIWYG editor right out-of-the-box, for example, so if you want a solution that installs and is ready to go it might be better to investigate other options.

2. Is it really so hard to learn it - so it could be changed for different projects?

It's not as difficult as it once was. It approaches content management a little differently than, say, Joomla, but once you get the back-end and it's terminology down (nodes are basically just a page of content, for example, and taxonomy refers to categories/sub-categories) you wouldn't have many problems. It's been criticized as not being particular intuitive, but after a bit of use it's smooth sailing. Theming isn't nearly as difficult as it's made out to be, either. If you've got a handle on CSS and have some very basic PHP know-how you'll be all set.

3. Do clients like the administration part of it?

They seem to, though it doesn't go over as well as something like Wordpress. The way the node editing works tends to go over very well - that is, the tabs that let you edit a post with one click without having to enter a separate administration.

Ubercart is definitely worth looking at (The E-commerce module, in my opion, not so much) but there are limitations. I'm honestly not sure I'd want to manage a large e-commerce site with Drupal. Ubercart is dependent on quite a few extra modules, and I don't expect development to keep up with Drupal's development. By the time Drupal 7 is released Ubercart will likely still only be compatible with Drupal 5.

Anyway, hope that info helps. Obviously I can't pick a favorite since I've never used MODx, but Drupal certainly has my thumbs up. I find it hard to use any other CMS at all.
    Premium Drupal themes
    Easy setup and customization
    Valid XHTML/CSS and tableless design

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob D.
    That information is really helpful for me
    Which release of the project would you choose? As I look at some modules - most of them are recommended for Drupal 5, some for Drupal 6...

snecz
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have finally decided to learn drupal so I just want to share with you my first and general impressions about it. I don't know any other cms so I can't make comparison but this is what I have found out (That's only my first impressions):
    Pluses:
    - It’s not so hard to learn it as people say. I’ve only read online documentation and managed to make my first site in two weeks with some my own modifications.
    - There’s good community support concerning general problems
    - There’re many popular modules
    Minuses:
    - Many modules have no support with new drupal version
    - There’re not so many nice themes
    - Some specific problems concerning not popular modules are not very well supported
    - Online documentation is a little bit “messy”
    But generally I like it
    My first site in drupal: www.partizan.pl
    Last edited by snecz; Nov 9, 2008 at 07:30.
    Projektowanie Stron WWW

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Drupal is alot better than Modx in terms of use, power and support. Drupal can be a bit confused when you are starting it first but after few hours of use you can feel comfortable with it.

What about additional modules many of them are in developing stage but are available to download. I would recommend to download plugin manager module and you can search for modules and themes from your website directly. Especially that plugin manager categorize modules better than sections are displayed on official drupal website.

About themes i agree. The choice could be bigger.
    www.cfwebservices.com.
    Your source to open source content management systems.