SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

"Award Winning" Web Design - What?

I've seen a few website agencies or people recently who claim to have "award winning" website design.

How does someone go about winning an award for their website design. I'm not saying I'm good enough to win awards, in fact I know I'm not, but I'm always intrigued to understand what that actually means? I've seen people who claim to have award winning skills, but actually don't make particularly nice websites, whereas I've seen other sites that are just stunning, and they've never claimed that they have won an award?...

Did they just have some chump come to their website and say "wow, thats a nice site - I would award you a medal but I don't have one", or is there actually "awards" for web design (with trophies, etc?).

Just wondered really
    http://www.clowcreative.com
    Creative Web Design Studio

SitePoint Enthusiast gareth_esutera's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are organizations of web designers around the world. Many of them are local to specific countries or cities. I think most of these awarding or contests came from them.

There are also big web design companies who would host such events with the hope of finding the best talents. Although in my personal opinion, they are less trustworthy than the organizations. I've heard of cases wherein these companies only used the contest to gain backlinks and then refused to honor their promises.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Black Max's Avatar
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In the late 90s, there was a big trend for site owners to hunt down "awards" for their sites. Then they'd cobble together a brag page -- "looky at all the awards I done won!" Somehow this gave their site validity. I admit, when I ran my old (long since gone) Windows troubleshooting site, I bought into that, and it actually garnered me some traffic. It was also a good way to get yourself some backlinks.

Having said that, there are some legitimate, and highly coveted, design awards out there. I don't know what these agencies are referring to. And it's easy to call yourself an award winner without actually showing off any award you may have written.

Sincerely,
    Black Max
    Award-Winning Forum Poster

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    of course there are country or region specific awards as well as other minor awards. also there are internationally recognized awards such as http://www.webbyawards.com/

you can check for the award section of such claiming websites to see if they are really significant awards or not.

most significantly if the client and the client's clients like the website, I believe that is the winning website.