SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Changing timing on photo pop-up text

When you scroll over a photo you can get a descriptive text box to appear using the alt= "..." function - no problems with that. However, can I alter the time the text box stays visible?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can't, that's hard coded into the web browser.

You can create your own "pop-up text" with some JavaScript or crafty CSS that you could control, but the alt text tooltip will always behave the same.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Besides, standards-compliant browsers don't display the text equivalent (alt attribute value) along with the image. That's a bad habit that only Netscape 4 and Internet Explorer indulges in, as far as I know. There's no point in showing both the image and the text equivalent at the same time, since they should provide the same information.

All modern browsers display the title attribute value as an advisory title in a tool-tip, though. As Dan says, the time it stays visible is not under the author's control.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have a look at "title". What I have in my website is a gallery page with photos in and what I want to do is to scroll over the photo and a paragraph of more detailed information text appear. As you say, IE does this with the Alt attribute, but as you also say quite correctly it doesn't show in most other browsers. Would the title attribute be what I should look at or should I explore something in CSS.

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    All modern browsers show title attributes in tool-tips. It will also override the incorrect display of the alt attribute in IE.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane