User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Trust me I can pay you.

Hello all.
    I have a bit of a business problem. I soon to be client has taken some offence to me calling him or emailing requesting completion of a development agreement and payment of a development deposit.

The contract and development deposit were sent about 8 weeks ago.

His last email explained that he had been very busy and wishes to start the project as soon as possible and he will complete the contract and has the capacity to pay the deposit, which I have no doubt about.

I don't want to annoy this customer, but all my other clients from the smallest to the corporate have had no issues in the past with signing an agreement and paying a deposit prior to commencement of the project. I don't feel I should make an exception for this client.

Just wondering if anyone has come across this type of situation before and how did you proceed.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hi,

As I understand your post, you are a developer. You have a client with whom you have reached an agreement in principle, but the client has not a) signed the agreement or b) sent you a deposit for development work. Is that right?
    You have tried contacting the client and that has not helped, and the client does not wish any further communications at this time.

The purpose of and reason that the client should have sent you the development deposit is to ensure/engage your services. The fact that they have not done so means that you should continue to solicit other projects to fill your schedule.

If your current contract draft does not have an 'offer expiration' date, this is probably a good thing to add in the future. Something like 'This offer is good for 30 days from receipt by [Client] or though _______."

I would notify the client that although you would still be willing to work the project when the Client is ready to start on it, unless you receive the signed contract by ____ you will not able to start immediately on it and will have to work it into your schedule.
    Bruce
    Automotive/Cadillac http://www.caddyinfo.com

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Bruce,
    Your understanding of the situation is spot on.
    Thank you for the great suggestions, I will implement them for furture developments.
    Your suggestion for approaching the client is great. It's amazing what another point of view can bring to the table. Very much appreciated.

Regards
    Adrian

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes definitely don't start work until you get the completed contract and the deposit. Using the "time slot" argument as stated by Bruce is an excellent idea - I use this a lot myself.

It's not a good sign if they can't organise themselves to get you the contract - either they're trying to stiff you OR (and just as bad) they're extremely disorganised and you'll have difficulty getting the feedback and site content from them.

I'd suggest that even once you do get the contract and the deposit and once you've completed any initial design work that you insist on having the majority of the content before you spend any time actually building the site.

I have this built into my contract - different phases of a build. So once the design/structure is agreed I won't go any further until I get all of the remaining content. Otherwise you end up wasting your time and sitting there with a site half finished for ages.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project