User Tag List

Thread: CMS Difficulty

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

CMS Difficulty

I want to add CMS to my site, <10 pages. Can a virtual novice do it with open source CMS or should I pay and leave it to a pro?

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends. It isn't too hard to add a simple CMS. You might want to look at Joomla or something similar as a solution. Either you're going to pay for the added functionality in your time in learning to set it up or with your money by hiring a developer. The work isn't hard, but there is a definate learning curve if you're not familiar with developement.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    CMS makes more sense for larger sites with many pages--unless of course you want to simply learn. I use Wordpress as a CMS now for larger sites, but for SEO power on smaller sites, CSS and lean HTML code are hard to beat.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy Tailslide's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't bother for under 10 pages unless you're planning a lot of expansion later on.
    Little Blue Plane Web Design
    Blood, Sweat & Rust - A Land Rover restoration project

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For a site with less than 10 pages, you might rather look into using includes. Just do a Google search for "php include" or "html include".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I use Joomla for most of my sites small and large because of the built in functionality and ease of setup. There is certainly a learning curve involved but my first Joomla site was up in a day from knowing nothing about CMS.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've used wordpress and joomla for sites, and whilst they can be great in the right circumstances (don't bother coding a blog - it's reinventing the wheel, just use wordpress!) we have found they can be a bit too good - so many great features that a lot of sites just don't need. Making them sometimes overwhelming/needlessly confusing for users/the site admin, depending on the level of experience.

You can also hit the odd stumbling block in the future as whilst out-of-the-box solutions have a lot of add ons, if you have something from a (good) coder, you can pretty much always be sure they can build on anything you want.

I've been battling with oscommerce today, wishing the client had a custom coded shop!

Demand from small businesses for a simple - and crucially, affordable - CMS led us to put this together this month - projects.18aproductions.co.uk/simplecms/ . If you want a play there's a demo on there that resets itself every hour. There's also a shop, booking system, and as of tonight a directory that can be added in too. PM me or get intouch if you've got any questions / want it for your site.

Lisa x

From space with love silver trophy
    Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ditch182 View Post
    For a site with less than 10 pages, you might rather look into using includes. Just do a Google search for "php include" or "html include".
    I agree, unless the OP is going to add more pages in the future, the use of a CMS will probably be overkill.
    Community Team Advisor
    Forum Guidelines: Posting FAQ Signatures FAQ Self Promotion FAQ
    Help the Mods: What's Fluff? Report Fluff/Spam to a Moderator

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah - it's not essential for a site to be CMS driven - but I don't think you can base it on the number of pages without knowing the guy's situation.

I had a call yesterday from someone who wants his site rebuilt with a CMS, because whilst he can update it manually, he's seen how much more quickly and often his wife updates her because of how quick and simple it is. And when your website is your business, that's vital.

So it depends on someone's level of knowledge (although if he's on here I'm sure he can write html!) and how much time they have. Plus is he split between an office and home, or does he work away alot... would he need to update it on the move? From the train/hotel room/family computer? Yeah you can have your text editor and ftp client on your laptop, home and work computer, but just logging into your CMS is a damn site easier I think.

And that isn't a sales pitch! It's based on talking to people and just me knowing which of my sites I update most often!

Lisa x

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would agree that I wouldn't bother changing to a CMS if you have already built the site, but in the future for small sites I like using Etomite / ModX or FrogCMS

-Tim