SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 226

Thread: CSS Reset

  1. #51
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy
    Just make sure you understand what it's for. It doesn't mean 'definition'. It's for a long-standing typographic convention, especially in technical documents, to italicise the first occurrence or defining instance of a term with which the reader is not expected to be familiar.
    Thanks, cause that's what every page I looked up said it was (a definition).

    Which makes me wonder about another typographic convention: the italicising or underlining of a book/publication title. Is there a tag for that as well? I've been just putting i's in my p's (instead of em since it's not emphasised but typography) so far.

  2. #52
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The <i></i> tag.

  3. #53
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Lawlz, I was hoping for a <pubtitle> tag or something : )

  4. #54
    Twitter: @AnthonySterling silver trophy AnthonySterling's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    North-East, UK.
    Posts
    6,111
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Personally, I prefer to use the free man-hours provided by Yahoo to maintain and improve the YUI base and reset stylesheets.

    Why invest my time and possibly do it wrong, when I can have the knowledge and time of a whole team of devs!

    My 2cents.

    SilverB.

  5. #55
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Thanks, cause that's what every page I looked up said it was (a definition).
    I'm not surprised. It's like all the reference sites that claim that <var> is for marking up variables in program code.

    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    Which makes me wonder about another typographic convention: the italicising or underlining of a book/publication title. Is there a tag for that as well?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    The <i></i> tag.
    If you are citing a book or publication from which you are quoting or summarising, then <cite></cite> is the proper element type. If you are mentioning a magazine or newspaper in some other context, you should probably use <i></i>.
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <blockquote>
      <p>We can use the alternative style sheet feature to offer multiple
      viewing options from which the user can make a selection.</p>
    </blockquote>
    <p>This explanation from <cite>The Ultimate CSS Reference</cite> ...</p>
    Code HTML4Strict:
    <p>John is an avid reader of the <i>New York times</i>.</p>
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  6. #56
    SitePoint Wizard Stomme poes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    10,283
    Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I'm not surprised. It's like all the reference sites that claim that <var> is for marking up variables in program code.
    Lawlz, I've seen that one too : )

    The page that warned me off <tt> (don't remember it anymore) said to use <kbd> if it was for showing what people should type (like in a tutorial) and <code> if it's what you'd see on a screen (again, in a tutorial) and that <tt> was rather ambiguously monospaced (and not in all browsers they said). I was happy to find that there was somewhere a reason to use kbd as I'd run across it a long time ago and wondered wth?

  7. #57
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wasn't thinking of citing it. (Otherwise I would have mentioned the citation.) I was referring to mentioning it offhand.

  8. #58
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stomme poes View Post
    The page that warned me off <tt> (don't remember it anymore) said to use <kbd> if it was for showing what people should type (like in a tutorial) and <code> if it's what you'd see on a screen (again, in a tutorial) and that <tt> was rather ambiguously monospaced (and not in all browsers they said).
    There are element types with specific semantic meaning that usually render in a monospaced font. <kbd> indicates something a user is expected to type in via the keyboard or similar input device. <code> marks up a fragment of computer code. <tt> can be used for those rare occasions when you wish to adhere to some typographic convention that isn't covered by the other types.

    It's similar to how you can use <i> around boat names etc, whereas there are more specific (and semantic) element types like <cite> and <dfn> for specific purposes, which also render as italics by default.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  9. #59
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Yes, but you can reset all properties of all elements with *, and you don't have to set them all back with a separate p, so using * is useful.
    Yes, but it's not the smartest solution to use the wild card to zero out all elements. There are more elegant solutions.

  10. #60
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverBulletUK View Post
    Personally, I prefer to use the free man-hours provided by Yahoo to maintain and improve the YUI base and reset stylesheets.

    Why invest my time and possibly do it wrong, when I can have the knowledge and time of a whole team of devs!

    My 2cents.

    SilverB.
    As long as you understand what is going on in the reset and you agree with everything then more power to you!

  11. #61
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    Yes, but it's not the smartest solution to use the wild card to zero out all elements.
    Sorry to nitpick, but it's not a 'wild card'. it's the universal selector, which is like a type selector that matches exactly one instance of an element, regardless of its element type.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  12. #62
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Sorry to nitpick, but it's not a 'wild card'. it's the universal selector, which is like a type selector that matches exactly one instance of an element, regardless of its element type.
    Do a search for this sentence:
    Luckily, there is a CSS Selector called the wildcard: *
    http://www.uwex.edu/infosys/shared-resources/css/

    You could be right

  13. #63
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So some bugger at the University of Wisconsin doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

    I recommend going straight to the horse's mouth. In this case, Section 5.3 of the CSS2.1 specification.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  14. #64
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    So some bugger at the University of Wisconsin doesn't know what he or she is talking about.

    I recommend going straight to the horse's mouth. In this case, Section 5.3 of the CSS2.1 specification.
    hehe Thanks for the clearup

    Tommy you are probably more knowledgeable than eric meyer's haha

    Come out with another book and QUICK!

  15. #65
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    Tommy you are probably more knowledgeable than eric meyer's haha
    Don't you blaspheme in here!

    I had the great privilege of speaking to Eric Meyer for an hour last summer (co-chairing a phone interview). Honestly, I'm not worhty to polish the man's boots.

    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    Come out with another book and QUICK!
    The good news is that I'm finishing the last chapter as we speak. (Yay!)
    The bad news is that it's in Swedish …
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  16. #66
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Don't you blaspheme in here!

    I had the great privilege of speaking to Eric Meyer for an hour last summer (co-chairing a phone interview). Honestly, I'm not worhty to polish the man's boots.


    The good news is that I'm finishing the last chapter as we speak. (Yay!)
    The bad news is that it's in Swedish
    Yeah I was listening to them the other night on podcast.

    You ever think of doubling up with him for a new book?

    Would be a great read...

  17. #67
    SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    Ankh-Morpork
    Posts
    12,158
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cooper.semantics View Post
    You ever think of doubling up with him for a new book?
    Sure. Right after I do that guitar duet with Clapton.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

  18. #68
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AutisticCuckoo View Post
    Sure. Right after I do that guitar duet with Clapton.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tommy_Olsson

  19. #69
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not the same person.

  20. #70
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    Not the same person.
    haha it was a joke.

    I looked over your reset and it looks pretty solid

    The only thing I could fair warn you about is this:
    .skip {
    position: absolute;
    left: -999em;
    }

    Even though you are taking this out of the document it still seems to bring up issues in Safari/ie.

    This approach has had no problems for cross browsing.

    .skip {
    overflow: hidden;
    display: block;
    width: 0;
    height: 0;
    line-height: 0;
    font-size: 0;
    text-indent: -9999em;
    }

  21. #71
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I test all the way back to IE 5.01 and Safari 1.x - I have never seen that problem. Especially the way I code.

  22. #72
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    I test all the way back to IE 5.01 and Safari 1.x - I have never seen that problem. Especially the way I code.
    This issue is documented online some where as well. The way you code does not reflect on this issue

    Have you cross browsed diff. case scenarios?

    caption, legend, etc..

  23. #73
    In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Aurora, Illinois
    Posts
    15,476
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You haven't seen the way I code. I can literally get around just about any IE issue without relying on hacks or conditional comments.

  24. #74
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Schulz View Post
    You haven't seen the way I code. I can literally get around just about any IE issue without relying on hacks or conditional comments.
    "Any distance will suffice, as long as it places the content out of the viewing range of sighted users. Placing the content above the viewport is preferable to placing it to the left or right of the viewport because both of these other directions cause display irregularities in some browsers."

    http://www.webaim.org/techniques/css/invisiblecontent/

    Read this entire article - Don't worry its a good read 'will not put you to sleep' hehe

  25. #75
    SitePoint Wizard silver trophybronze trophy
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    New York, NY
    Posts
    1,432
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tommy - This states what you said earlier:
    http://archivist.incutio.com/viewlist/css-discuss/69464


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •