SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is anyone still making custom made CMSs and are you making money?

Hello everyone.

I've been wondering, how many people out there are still making their CMSs from the ground up and selling them to people for their sites? Do you offer complete packages, like hosting/CMS/email? Do you use libraries like CodeIgniter and jQuery to help you with that?

Are you making good enough money out it? I've recently switched to using CodeIgniter and jQuery to help me save time, as I do my little freelance thing around work... But I wonder, is it enough to make the plunge and do it full time?

I just wanted to here how people are doing things here these days... Any feedback wanted really!

Cheers!

phpLD Fanatic bronze trophy dvduval's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I could see this being a good selling tool to let customers know up front that they will be able to edit a majority of their site themselves by the time the work is completed. We have done this for several customers in the the past, and were able to offer a competitive price. I won't say we are making a living on this, but it is not our primary business either.

SitePoint Evangelist
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So you are a freelancer/company?

Without having to give to much away, what exactly brings in your cash. Are you a solo team or is there others?

Is it not really that common for one man freelancers to offer complete custom made CMSs then? ... I'm rubbish with pricing and don't really know what this is worth to people...

SitePoint Addict chestertondevelopment's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm a freelancer and every* site I make has a custom CMS, and yes I'm making good money on it.

I've developed my own PHP framework which I use on projects but for quick projects or less experienced developers CodeIgniter or CakePHP have their place. I do use jQuery for the majority of Javascript work.

There's definitely a market out there for developing well coded, custom solutions for websites instead of your typical one-size-fits-all approach.

* within reason, simple blogs etc. excluded