SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Thread: php & mysql

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow, I just read the article on webmasterbase about this, and it sound exactly what I need ! Just though I'd thank Kevin Yank for a great article.

"The problem is that, more often than not, the people providing the content for a site are not the same people handling its design. Oftentimes, the content provider doesn't even know HTML. How, then, is the content to get from the provider onto the Web site? Not every company can afford to staff a full-time Webmaster, and most Webmasters have better things to do than copying Word files into HTML templates anyway."

I'm going to be trying to learn it now ....!

Sounds exactly what I need..! I run a site with a lot, lot, lot of content, and many writers who have no idea of HTML etc...

Do you think I could learn it in about 2 weeks? Is that possible? (Thats spending about 6 hours a day learning it..)

-James

[This message has been edited by James Smith (edited June 18, 2000).]

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy Karl's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Two weeks, yeah you could easy learn it in two weeks at 6 hours a day, the key to something like SP (the way they have their articles) is a good database design from the outset. If you don't have a good design then everything else is made much more difficult.

I always find a good way to learn is trial and error that is how I learn't PHP and it hasn't done me any harm, I also made sure I had a copy of the php manual on my computer all the time - you can download it but it doesn't contain all the notes added by users so I used Teleport Pro to download it and update it every month.

------------------
    Karl Austin
    KDA Web Services
    "Everyone has a photographic memory. Some just don't have film."

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I don't know if I understood something correctly.

The reason i really think this would be cool is this

-my writers can set up their own articles using a template type thing without me having to paste it into an html frame.

correct ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote/font><HR>Originally posted by James Smith:
    -my writers can set up their own articles using a template type thing without me having to paste it into an html frame.

correct ?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Correct, James. Your writers would probably have a certain URL they'd enter...at this URL they might enter their username and password, and then a page would be display where they could fill in the subject of the article, date, whatever, etc, and the article itself, and then the script (already configured by you to post what they submit), would handle all the busy work. That's the beauty of an automated system...more satisfying than anything else.

------------------
    Chris Bowyer
    MyCoding.com: Join our mailing list for launch notification!
    "I'm not an insomniac, I'm a web designer."

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Correct. That will be covered in detail next week in Part VI.

------------------
    -Kevin Yank.
    http://www.SitePoint.com/
    Helping Small Business Grow Online!

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow this php stuff is the bomb !

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James, I am exited as you are!

I can't wait to learn this PHP stuff at SitePoint, I, too, am learning PHP on my own, not 6 hours a day though. Where are you learning it from James? I use "PHP Programing" from wrox press.

Oh well, Great job by the way Kevin... keep up the good work! I'm really looking forward to improve my site with this PHP & mysql database.

[This message has been edited by imaginebeinglost (edited June 18, 2000).]

psycho
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am learning from Sitepoint. I can't be bothered to fork out 30 for a book really. I have also downloaded the php manual from www.phpbuilder.com..

It seriously doesn't look that hard, and I will just get the more advanced scripts from www.hotscripts.com or somewhere like that.

-James