SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Founder of Primal Skill Ltd. feketegy's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question How about this photoblog idea ?

Hello. I'm a developer and I also like photography too. I looked at some photo blogging scripts, but I didn't found what I really wanted.

For me it's not really about photos, but the story behind them and what the photographer wanted to say with his/her picture.

So I thought I would create a photo blogging script that put's the accent onto the actual story behind the photo and not on the technique of how that photo was taken.

What do you think ? Would you use such application ? What kind of features you want to see in this application ?

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd want to see it done as a WordPress theme (and plugin if extra code is necessary) rather than a separate system. That way other WordPress plugins can be used alongside it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. Interesting. Maybe I will have a look at how Wordpress plug-ins are built and support it in my system... It's rather difficult to adapt something to meet your needs than to build it from the ground up.

Follow Me On Twitter: @djg gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Grossman's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's probably a lot more difficult to build a blogging system from the ground up than to make a theme for WordPress. And this way, you don't have to overcome the barrier of people needing to learn a whole new piece of software to run a photo blog. You can market to people already familiar with WordPress, which is several million. You can also reach those people easier than launching an entirely new product -- there are established venues for selling WordPress themes and plugins that already have traffic waiting for your product.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feketegy View Post
    Hello. I'm a developer and I also like photography too. I looked at some photo blogging scripts, but I didn't found what I really wanted.

For me it's not really about photos, but the story behind them and what the photographer wanted to say with his/her picture.

So I thought I would create a photo blogging script that put's the accent onto the actual story behind the photo and not on the technique of how that photo was taken.

What do you think ? Would you use such application ? What kind of features you want to see in this application ?
    Idea is ok. Please post your progress.
    My one & only money making SEO service: www.serp2email.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Dan Grossman: for me it's a lot harder to adapt someone's work that to do it from scratch. Especially if this work is as complex as Wordpress...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To make a WordPress theme or plugin, you don't have to read, let alone change a single line of WordPress's code. Just the theme tags function reference.

Design a page with HTML/CSS that looks like how you want your photo blog to look. Emphasis on the story and whatever else you wanted.

Then cut out the content text and replace it with <?php the_content(); ?>. Cut out the title and replace it with <?php the_title(); ?>.

That's how you turn a webpage into a theme... simple, right?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not so simple
    Let me tell you why. I generally like to create simple products. Wordpress is rather complex product, it wasn't built specially to do this one thing I want.

Okay, I create the theme, but what about the admin section ? There are lot's of features that I don't want to include, because this will result in a feature creep, mediocre product.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree that it is sometimes a lot harder to adapt someone's work than to do it from scratch.

I even have problems to understand how to make wordpress themes. In Joomla this is not a problem at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by feketegy View Post

WordPress is immensely adaptable. Yes, there's a learning curve, but there's so much tried and tested functionality at your fingertips that I'd certainly look for a way of using it if I had a photoblog project to design.

I'm not sure I get what sort of app you're talking about though since WordPress already provides you with the ability to not only display photos, but also tell a story.

What am I missing?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you are actually bringing out the real essence of photography. nice thought. keep it up.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    +1 vote for a WP Theme. So it could be used for other domains than photography (ex: painting, drawing, etc...).
    Ruby on Rails plugin directory and content: The Rail Station
    Cinemaphotograper visit: Canon 5D Tips

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think your idea is great, the story behind the photo makes the photo more intersesting....

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Any updates? I'm very much interested in seeing your whole idea

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was caught up with other projects, but it's definitely on the list.

I'm still bouncing the idea to use Wordpress or to create it from scratch.

Keep Moving Forward gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting idea but for me the story of how a photograph evolved is more appealing. Like the stuff on prophotolife.com for example, where they'd start the shoot, try something, tweak the idea, refine composition, etc.

I know that type of thing isn't everyone's cup of tea of course, but it's what I like.

Trying to fill the unforgiving minute
    with sixty seconds' worth of distance run.

Update on Sitepoint's Migration to Discourse

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am an amateur photographer. I recently came across the site while searching the net for photography softwares. This site has two excellent softwares Turbo Photo and Recomposit which will improve photo prints drastically. The softwares have tools to get excellent photoworks.