SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Why do Sitepoint Blogs lack comments?

Sitepoint is such a great community. Why does no one leave comments like the endless amount of comments other blogs get on the web?

Just curious...
    Thanks Sitepoint!

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Maybe comments are nofollow?

In memoriam gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy Dan Schulz's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The links in the comments being followable or not wouldn't make such a big difference when it comes to SitePoint. There is a lot of integration with the forums and other sections of the site though, especially where the all-knowing Articlebot is concerned.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    because of the niche they said to the blogs? i guess. and i guess Blogspot and Wordpress are great in terms of positioning in SERPs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yenerich View Post
    Maybe comments are nofollow?
    lol..

Actually it doesn't make much difference but it will keep the forum clean

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by keith5885 View Post
    Why does no one leave comments like the endless amount of comments other blogs get on the web?
    I assume because most conversations related to the topics in the blogs are carried out in the forum anyway, so there is less motivation to use the comments section of each blog post for that purpose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Moreover it look like a internal community-driven blog for sitepoint members only, I think blog promotion is must if you want to reach to a wider audience and generate targeted traffic that we discuss several time.

I meant that to happen silver trophybronze trophy Raffles's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It often seems to be non-forum members who kick off comments in blog posts. In my case this is because I don't read the blog posts enough and spend more time on the forums (though this has been scant as of late as well). I'm guessing it's the same for a lot of other members.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I disagree. This coming from a guy whose blog averages about 25 comments per post in the last two months.

Sites like freelanceswitch and sitepoint who has very few "regular" blogger, but mostly paid bloggers or guest bloggers; lacks a sense of communication with the readers. For instance, with problogger, you can associate the blog with darrenrowse, even though he has a good number of guest bloggers (and you will notice comments on guest bloggers has low numbers); when you think of problogger - you think darren rowse.

When you think of sitepoint - do you relate to any author in particular? I doubt it. They obviously has some very good content, but I think they need to stick with a fixed number of writers that readers can relate to on a daily basis; not random writers at random times, on random topics. I also think the blog needs it's own identity, the blog has more or less the same layout as the forum and the marketplace, with links going back and forth to somewhere else within sitepoint.

I think blogs are less attractive, when there is no personal touch and you run it more like a business than a blog.

This is mostly guestimation, since I don't really follow their blog that much.

Just my 2 cents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ignore this one.
    Last edited by pavelmaha; Aug 19, 2008 at 07:23.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    For instance, with problogger, you can associate the blog with darrenrowse, even though he has a good number of guest bloggers (and you will notice comments on guest bloggers has low numbers); when you think of problogger - you think darren rowse.
    I also notice that as I am among his thousands of subscribers. I frequently leave comments on his posts rather than to his guest bloggers.

I also think that it is case to case basis. As for me, SP had brought a lot of visitors to my blog as compared to other forums I am equally active to. Although I am not getting any blog post comment from SP, I am enjoying numerous comments from my forum posts as I submit the whole content of my blog posts here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    pavelmaha's comments make sense. I am definitely more likely to comment on a blog when I 'know' the writer than for a big multi-author corporate style blog like here on Sitepoint.com.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GuardianAngel View Post
    I also notice that as I am among his thousands of subscribers. I frequently leave comments on his posts rather than to his guest bloggers.

I also think that it is case to case basis. As for me, SP had brought a lot of visitors to my blog as compared to other forums I am equally active to. Although I am not getting any blog post comment from SP, I am enjoying numerous comments from my forum posts as I submit the whole content of my blog posts here.
    GuardianAngel, not everyone posts comments for traffic. You might be surprised to know that people who posts comments to get traffic are actually minorities.
    most people make comments because they want to add something something to the discussion, or something valuable to say.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    GuardianAngel, not everyone posts comments for traffic. You might be surprised to know that people who posts comments to get traffic are actually minorities.
    most people make comments because they want to add something something to the discussion, or something valuable to say.
    Make sense. I also do that especially to the ones I admire a lot like Problogger. It feels like I am talking in front of him. His being unselfish inspires me a lot.