SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Would You Hire The Guy Who Coded Wordpress?

Hi all,

I hope you will share your perspective on the blogging industry by replying to this hypothetical question. Many thanks!

If you will please, imagine that:

1) One person invented Wordpress, and coded it themselves from scratch.

2) You meet this person.

3) They offer to host your Wordpress blog, and take personal responsibility for it's proper operation. You have direct access to them via email.

4) The price is $25 per month.

Would you be willing to pay to have the inventor of Wordpress host your blog and be personally responsible to you?

Or would you skip this offer, and get a free Wordpress blog instead?

Many thanks for playing along, I look for forward to your replies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would pay a webhost for hosting services and setup my own blog there....lol
    Hostamina - Hosting You Can Rely On!
    - Providing High Quality Hosting with Personalized Support
    - Will help you install, configure, and even build your website.
    - No Overselling! Get Hosted on Fast Servers with 99.9% Uptime!

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PublisherForYou View Post
    4) The price is $25 per month.

Would you be willing to pay to have the inventor of Wordpress host your blog and be personally responsible to you?

Or would you skip this offer, and get a free Wordpress blog instead?
    The "free" option for this is currently available at wordpress.com but your hypothetical option would be a much cheaper alternative and therefore if it were a choice between those two then the $25 a month is the better choice. Of course getting hosting and doing it yourself is cheaper again and is also an option currently available which is why it is the way that those people who have worked out the costing properly always choose the self hosting option.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy bluedreamer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd set up my own blog on the hosting service that I chose. That way i would still retain full control over everything.

But there again I wouldn't choose Wordpress

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated. Let's see if I understand you. If I don't, please jump in and correct me.

Are you saying that, if you were to use Wordpress you would set it up on a host cheaper than $25?

And you would do this because you see no value to you in having a relationship with whoever created what appears to be the world's most popular site building platform?

The software might have value to you, but the person who made the software does not?

Again, I wish to stress I'm not arguing or debating, but truly trying to understand what choice you would make and why?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong answer. Honest thoughtful answers are what I'm fishing for here.

Thanks for playing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for your comments guys, much appreciated. Let's see if I understand you. If I don't, please jump in and correct me.

Are you saying that, if you were to use Wordpress you would set it up on a host cheaper than $25?

And you would do this because you see no value to you in having a relationship with whoever created what appears to be the world's most popular site building platform?

The software might have value to you, but the person who made the software does not?

Again, I wish to stress I'm not arguing or debating, but truly trying to understand what choice you would make and why?

As far as I'm concerned, there is no right or wrong answer. Honest thoughtful answers are what I'm fishing for here.

Thanks for playing!
    There is no right or wrong. In this hypothetical question, the guy is giving something (wordpress) for free. He is not asking for anything in return. however he also provides a service for money, for added benefits. If you need the benefits, you pay for it; if you don't need the benefits, you don't pay for it. It's good you appreciate their work and the fact that it is free, and there is no way you should feel obligated to pay for it, just to make him happy.

There are a lot of things online that are free, would you pay every single person who are giving these service for free, money to make them happy? That would be ridiculous.

Would you pay to use youtube for 25/month? Would you pay to use gmail for 25/month? Would you use google search for 25/month? Would you pay to use sitepoint forum for 25/month?

Some people like to give out stuff for free, with no monetary interest. Some people gives out free because they make money from other services related to the free service.

Wordpress was created by the company automattic, they make very good money from consultation and other services.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    however he also provides a service for money, for added benefits. If you need the benefits, you pay for it; if you don't need the benefits, you don't pay for it.
    Right, makes sense.

So our question is, is there any benefit to having the guy who invented Wordpress (in the case of our hypothetical) host our blog?

Another question is, who are we talking about? There are zillions of people trying to make sites with software like Wordpress. There may be a benefit for some, but not for others.

Experienced tech savvy users may see no need to have the world's leading expert on Wordpress on their team. These users may feel they don't need support, and thus the cheaper the host the better.

On the other hand, these advanced users may be those most likely to be able to benefit from a relationship with someone savvy enough to create something so popular. It seems to me, truly sharp webmasters surround themselves with those who are sharper.

Novice non-technical users, arguably the largest group of users, probably are not in a position to have high level conversations with such an expert.

On the other hand, novice non-technical users may take comfort in knowing their site is being supported and hosted by the most qualified person on the planet. If this expert support saves them from hours lost messing around with things they don't understand, the price may be a good deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right, makes sense.

So our question is, is there any benefit to having the guy who invented Wordpress (in the case of our hypothetical) host our blog?

Another question is, who are we talking about? There are zillions of people trying to make sites with software like Wordpress. There may be a benefit for some, but not for others.

Experienced tech savvy users may see no need to have the world's leading expert on Wordpress on their team. These users may feel they don't need support, and thus the cheaper the host the better.

On the other hand, these advanced users may be those most likely to be able to benefit from a relationship with someone savvy enough to create something so popular. It seems to me, truly sharp webmasters surround themselves with those who are sharper.

Novice non-technical users, arguably the largest group of users, probably are not in a position to have high level conversations with such an expert.

On the other hand, novice non-technical users may take comfort in knowing their site is being supported and hosted by the most qualified person on the planet. If this expert support saves them from hours lost messing around with things they don't understand, the price may be a good deal.
    To simply answer your question, there is no added benefit, from being hosted by wordpress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wordpress is a very simple script to run and set up, I can't see any benefit to paying someone to help you get it going. Any web host you go to will be able to provide you with the necessary support to set it up.
    Hostamina - Hosting You Can Rely On!
    - Providing High Quality Hosting with Personalized Support
    - Will help you install, configure, and even build your website.
    - No Overselling! Get Hosted on Fast Servers with 99.9% Uptime!

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The actual install process to install the script on your own hosting is just about as simple as it gets.

With the Automatic Update plugin installed all updates to keep the script current are reduced to just clicking the mouse on a few links.

The only time you'd need a programmer is if you want a customisation that hasn't been done before and where you are not able to do it yourself. That would probably involve a flat fee for writing it for you rather than a monthly charge. There is nothing in WordPress that needs monthly maintenance (apart from adding the blog entries throughout the month and hiring a programmer to do that for you would be ridiculous).
    Stephen J Chapman

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks guys. You all seem to be landing on one side of the question, so I'll take the other side.

I routinely see non-technical users posting in forums about problems they're having with WordPress, and other similar tools. It seems clear to me they are posting on the forums, because they aren't getting adequate help from their host, whoever it may be.

So, they are wasting hours of confusion to save say, $15, a pay rate of a few bucks an hour. To me, this is the classic newbie mistake, thinking small, and devaluing your time to almost nothing, just to save the price of lunch etc.

Ok, readers of this thread aren't novices, good point. But...

Are you expert enough at webmastering to have created anything that is known by millions worldwide?

Nah, me neither. So, to me, it's a false economy to walk away from the author of WordPress, just to save 10 bucks a month.

But, this is just another side of the coin.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Unless their host is only hosting WordPress forums then it is likely that such forums are only one of thousands of different scripts running on their hosting. You can't expect their support staff to know them all - their job is to support the hosting, not what you decide to run on it.

WordPress is open source which means that any decent PHP programmer should be able to look at the code and work out any modifications required to achieve a particular goal. Most such are done by adding plug-ins to the product and there are thousands of them available all written by different people. The original author may be slightly more familiar with the base program than other programmers or may not depending on whether they are continuing to work on that program or have moved on to other projects.

Most of the issues with WordPress are in getting it set up in the first place - mostly a matter of selecting the right theme and installing the right plug-ins. It is perfectly sensible for someone to pay to have that done for them but once it is set up properly then maintaining it is just a matter of writing content and clicking a few links when something is upgraded. The only time further support would be needed would be if changes to the plug-ins or the theme were needed. That too would be best handled as a one off charge.
    Stephen J Chapman

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never eat an egg putting in other people's basket; no matter how beautiful that basket is, its not yours

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, thanks guys. You all seem to be landing on one side of the question, so I'll take the other side.

I routinely see non-technical users posting in forums about problems they're having with WordPress, and other similar tools. It seems clear to me they are posting on the forums, because they aren't getting adequate help from their host, whoever it may be.

So, they are wasting hours of confusion to save say, $15, a pay rate of a few bucks an hour. To me, this is the classic newbie mistake, thinking small, and devaluing your time to almost nothing, just to save the price of lunch etc.

Ok, readers of this thread aren't novices, good point. But...

Are you expert enough at webmastering to have created anything that is known by millions worldwide?

Nah, me neither. So, to me, it's a false economy to walk away from the author of WordPress, just to save 10 bucks a month.

But, this is just another side of the coin.
    - First of all the hypothetical question you ask doesn't exist. No one provides service like this, $15/month for technical assistant for wordpress. I don't see the point in discussing unreasonable hypothetical questions, that doesn't exist.

- Newbies will always ask basic questions. That's why they are "newbiews". A person who is new to computer will always ask silly questions like, "How to start your computer."

- There is a reason that such service doesn't exist, because it's unreasonable. No reason to think that you have come across an original idea that no one thought off. The author of wordpress thought about it, and realized how silly it is; which is why they don't provide any such service.

- If you or anyone wants to be spoonfed solutions to your problems (instead of discussing them on forum), you are more than welcome to pay couple of hundred dollars per session (not per month) to get some help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pavelmaha View Post
    - First of all the hypothetical question you ask doesn't exist. No one provides service like this, $15/month for technical assistant for wordpress. I don't see the point in discussing unreasonable hypothetical questions, that doesn't exist.

- There is a reason that such service doesn't exist, because it's unreasonable. No reason to think that you have come across an original idea that no one thought off. The author of wordpress thought about it, and realized how silly it is; which is why they don't provide any such service.
    As a partner in a web-hosting company which uses WordPress as the CMS for many of the low-end sites, I have to disagree with you.

We have an option which includes a slightly raised monthly fee in exchange for "more than basic" technical support with WP sites. To be fair, these aren't programming issues, but rather help with modifications, growth, and usage.

The majority of the support we provide includes tweaking settings, installing & testing plugins, installing & modifying themes, and providing tips on how to better use the tools available in WP.

Your view is one that I've run across fairly often in tech forums: People who work with computers/software regularly often fail to understand that there are a lot of people out there who know nothing about how these things work--nor do they want to. They just want a result. They have other things to think about. Just like many of us will take (appropriate) problems to a plumber, mechanic, or doctor rather than figuring out how to fix it ourselves.

I pay a mechanic a quarterly fee to change my oil and check over my car. I could do it myself, but I don't want to. I have other things to do with my time, and the $35 it costs is worth it to me. In the same vein, I have clients who pay me a regular fee to update their WP and check it for problems. They could probably learn how to do it, but they don't want to. It's worth it to them to pay me to do it.

So, it's not a silly idea. It's a very common and reasonable idea. However, I wouldn't pay the creator of the software to do it. His rates would be too high, and his time is better spent developing newer versions of the application. But pay somebody to do it? That's certainly reasonable.
    M Blaze Miskulin
    President
    Geek Niche Web Hosting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BlazeMiskulin View Post
    As a partner in a web-hosting company which uses WordPress as the CMS for many of the low-end sites, I have to disagree with you.

We have an option which includes a slightly raised monthly fee in exchange for "more than basic" technical support with WP sites. To be fair, these aren't programming issues, but rather help with modifications, growth, and usage.

The majority of the support we provide includes tweaking settings, installing & testing plugins, installing & modifying themes, and providing tips on how to better use the tools available in WP.

Your view is one that I've run across fairly often in tech forums: People who work with computers/software regularly often fail to understand that there are a lot of people out there who know nothing about how these things work--nor do they want to. They just want a result. They have other things to think about. Just like many of us will take (appropriate) problems to a plumber, mechanic, or doctor rather than figuring out how to fix it ourselves.

I pay a mechanic a quarterly fee to change my oil and check over my car. I could do it myself, but I don't want to. I have other things to do with my time, and the $35 it costs is worth it to me. In the same vein, I have clients who pay me a regular fee to update their WP and check it for problems. They could probably learn how to do it, but they don't want to. It's worth it to them to pay me to do it.

So, it's not a silly idea. It's a very common and reasonable idea. However, I wouldn't pay the creator of the software to do it. His rates would be too high, and his time is better spent developing newer versions of the application. But pay somebody to do it? That's certainly reasonable.
    He was refering to wordpress.com providing such service, that is what I replied to. If you provide such service good for you, but you are certainly a minority in this kind of service.