SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

Articles I wish I had written

This thread is devoted to well-written articles you have read that you wish you had written.
    I ran across this one today. How to Optimize Your Online Articles

Go ahead and comment on this one or add well-written articles you find to this thread.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read most of the article and have say that, IMO, the article is not well written. First off, it's bland and boring. I saw a fair amount of inaccuracy. The author relies too much on passive voice.

Some specifics followed by comments:
    "Almost any topic can be made interesting with good writing."
    But s/he never shows us.
    "The topic of the article is important, but the real meat of the Internet market is the words youíre going to use within that article."
    I disagree. If you want to write about a topic write about it without the diversion of keyword density.
    "Search engines are incredibly user-friendly Web sites."

"You may have a list of keywords for your article, but the search engines arenít aware of that list. Search engines know how to very quickly comb your content, picking out similar words as people online seek them out."
    In the first sentence, the author writes about a SE as an object. In the following 2 sentences, s/he personifies SE's. And I don't think SE crawlers "comb your content". They index your pages and search when a query is made.
    "There is another way to take that text from bland to brilliant, and it doesnít have anything to do with editing your article. Links are very, very important on the Internet, and your articles are no exception. Adding them to your article, and knowing exactly how many to include, is something of a science."
    How does adding links to text make the text "brilliant"?
    "Optimizing online articles sounds pretty hard!"
    Why the exclamation?
    "How many links is too many links?"
    Noun, verb disagreement.
    "Remember, the Internet is a highly image-driven and words arenít all that good-looking."
    Poorly structured sentence or poor proofing.
    "Even when using a text editor to upload your articles to the Web .."
    Not sure about yours, but my text editor won't upload my articles to the web.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    "An embodiment of the Olympic ideal, Michael Phelps saved the Games"

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/summer...pat&id=3539324

Word Painter silver trophy Shyflower's Avatar
    Mentioned
    142 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I agree that the writer had many mechanical errors, but in explaining how to optimize an article for the web, his methodology was sound. I think you can pick apart the mechanics of any writer.

Every read Mark Twain? He twisted and turned the language and led it down the path he wanted to take, but he made his point in every story he told.

While this author is certainly no Mark Twain, I believe he gets his points across and his points are long overdue. I am so tired of hearing about "what percentage" should keyword density be that I could upchuck. It was refreshing to read that somebody out there understands on page optimization and is willing to take the plunge into explaining it.
    Linda Jenkinson
    "Say what you mean. Mean what you say. But don't say it mean." ~Unknown