SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

One webpage, two servers in two countries - synchronized! How to?

Structure:
    1 Website runs with 1 Server at Singapore + 1 Server at USA
    - Visitors come from Singapore will be lead to Singapore Server
    - Visitors come from USA will be lead to USA Server

What are best practices how to accomplish this?
    Last edited by TomsB; Aug 18, 2008 at 05:04. Reason: Question restructured for better understanding.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The big guys seem to have a global welcome page (adobe etc) asking you for your location, it then sets a cookie and any future visits take you to your specific country page.

Alternatively I assume that Singapore has its own block of IP addresses so you could set up the USA server to redirect all Singapore IP's to Singapore and the Singapore server to redirect non Singapore to USA.
    "I am not young enough to know everything" - Oscar Wilde

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but I need my servers to have identical info - controlled from one CMS. How to accomplish that? Website coded in some way that it accepts info from distant CMS and another server when something changes?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it essential that your system needs two servers? How do you currently manage the DNS to send users to your webpage?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Second server (USA) is planned for users from USA only for better speed (page loading time) and English language.
    Currently website resides on shared web hosting service.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds as if you are getting in too deep, especially if you currently have a shared hosting package. Also you will have your DNS pointing at one server to host your domain, so there will be no speed advantage for the server located elsewhere.

I run a site with users from USA and Singapore but server is located in UK, I do have a contingent back up server but that is for emergencies. My site is monitored by internetseer for page loading times for the USA it still loads very fast.
    If the CMS is the same for both then you will have to get both servers in sync, which will create its own timing and speed issues. Maybe I am wrong but you do need to revaluate whether your business actual needs this extra speed and the additional costs involved.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll talk to partner about this.
    By the way, site for USA will have different domain, but identical content in English.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I also own multiple domains and allow the others to access mysql located on one server. That way a user can be on a separate domain and seeing the same content. You will have to evaluate where the biggest load / traffic lies and use the mysql / cms there. There will be a very slight speed hit on the other domain but it will keep things much simpler.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ok, thanks for info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I excatly had same question from years now...but i think people dont seem to understand the real question here...(my post also ended undecisive)

well first thing,
    people want transparent mirror or replication(most of the time)

and as was in my case user here want answer on how to sychronize (sychronize mysql data in two servers...other files....) rather than how to manage mirror access....
    in many cases isp itself handles these things finding nearest servers....

so mine solution is to do
    -country mysql as master and usa mysql server as salve...then run replication ...on certain time...according to volume of site
    -for file use program like cute-ftp pro which has tools to schronize files on two servers

This is my concept only i have not actaully tested and run it ...but i am working on it...was trying to find some help

but no help...and must of time tropic ended as use geo ip database or so on

any way thanks for help
    hope there may be some one to help

if tropic starter is ready i am ready to work as team for this...try...i am trying to achieve similar thing