SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fonts and Image Replacement

In the art and science of css, they talk about Image Replacement techniques and sIFR because not enough Fonts are widely disributed, so why couldn't one just have the .ttf for the fonts they use on their website server ? Is it a copyright issue or does that not technically work ?

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It is a copyright issue since you only own a licence to use it on your own computer and not to distribute it - plus it doesn't work since web pages can only read fonts from the local computer (except in IE which has a special font format that can be read from the server where you need special software to convert the font to that format which will not allow copyrighted fonts to be converted).
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When support for @font-face becomes more common, you can use that for custom fonts, provided you have a license to distribute those fonts. You can use it with Safari today, and with IE5+ (but only .eot fonts).

Personally, I wouldn't want fonts installed left, right and centre on my computer. I hope that when Opera implements support for this they'll include an option to disable it.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane