SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting a new PC without Vista

I've been thinking of getting a new desktop PC but I want no part of Vista. I've noticed when I go to Dell and Lenovo they have no option for getting XP. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to get a PC with XP on it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by frankdux View Post
    I've been thinking of getting a new desktop PC but I want no part of Vista. I've noticed when I go to Dell and Lenovo they have no option for getting XP. Anyone have any suggestions for a place to get a PC with XP on it?
    I was recently discussing the Vista debacle with my local computer shop which is also a Dell outlet. They won't sell a computer with Vista. Since XP is no longer available direct this is how they do it. When you buy from Dell there is an option to purchase an XP disk for (I think he said) $100. Then he reformats the drive. Fry's used to offer an XP option so you might check that out too. Then there's always Linux . . .

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know what ppl have against Vista...but hey...back on topic: I'm not familiar with local US retailers, so it's hard to suggest a company, really, but I'm wondering why it is such a big deal. Over here you can basically get almost all pcs with XP (some companies, like dell or acer, offer their pcs with Vista, BUT they offer the downgrade for like 19€ addtional price on all business models - I'm not sure about consumer models though)...if everything else fails, just order yourself a new pc some place and order a OEM or SB Edition of Win XP

Edit: It seems that DELL US are offering the same thing (downgrade on business models, e.g. Vostro Desktops)...but the price tag is a little different:

Quote Originally Posted by dell.com
    Need XP? Windows XP Professional pre-installed when purchasing Windows Vista Business Bonus for only $99!

Ingo
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would much rather go with Linux or a Mac but for practical work reasons it has to be a PC for now.

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ask Dell about the Vista to XP downgrade.
    But seriously if you are buying a new computer surly it can ran Vista beyond your needs.
    If it at least has an Intel Core 2 Duo (2GHz T7200), 2 GB RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon x1400 or better it will run Vista without issue. I know cause thats my hardware :P
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

Non-Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Dell has laptops with xp..You can search at dell home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    I don't know what ppl have against Vista...
    It is my understanding that XP is going to be supported even after Vista has run it's course and been replaced by Windows 7 (or whatever they're going to call it). XP's longevity and stability are good reasons to stick with XP.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by earther View Post
    It is my understanding that XP is going to be supported even after Vista has run it's course and been replaced by Windows 7 (or whatever they're going to call it). XP's longevity and stability are good reasons to stick with XP.
    XP's mainstream support ends in 14/04/2009 the extended support (paid support) ends in 08/04/2014.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&C2=1173

Windows Vista mainstream support ends in 4/10/2012 then extended support is "Not Applicable" for some editions for others its 4/11/2017.
    http://www.windows-vista-update.com/...ife-Cycle.html

Sorry to bust that bubble, XP isn't going to be supported even after Vista.
    Also, Vista is just as stable as XP if not more, thanks in part to the new video driver architecture.

..back with a vengeance... Ingoal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by logic_earth View Post
    XP's mainstream support ends in 14/04/2009 the extended support (paid support) ends in 08/04/2014.
    http://support.microsoft.com/lifecyc...=en-gb&C2=1173

Windows Vista mainstream support ends in 4/10/2012 then extended support is "Not Applicable" for some editions for others its 4/11/2017.
    http://www.windows-vista-update.com/...ife-Cycle.html

Sorry to bust that bubble, XP isn't going to be supported even after Vista.
    Also, Vista is just as stable as XP if not more, thanks in part to the new video driver architecture.
    Preach!
    Advisor - Community Team
    CHD-magician + + =
    Some of my sites: [1|2|3|4|5|6|7|8|9|10]
    Newest site: ZZ.GD - t dsn't gt mch shrtr thn tht

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's what I did in order to run some stuff on XP still.. buy a mac, download the bootcamp software (available on the mac site), and then install XP on it. Works perfectly and you have two operating systems (at a low cost too!)

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ingoal View Post
    Preach!
    It what I do!

Quote Originally Posted by joeb2b View Post
    ...download the bootcamp software (available on the mac site)...
    If you buy a new Mac, the Leopard install DVD comes with bootcamp.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

I have two Macs at home currently, though I prefer running a VM over using BootCamp. Granted, BootCamp is really nice, but you just can't beat using two (or more!) operating systems at the same time. =)

Sun's xVM VirtualBox is free, and it runs better than Parallels in my experience. Worth a try (on any platform), especially when your only other option is to dual boot.

http://www.sun.com/software/products/virtualbox/
    Colin Anderson
    Ambition is a poor excuse for those without
    sense enough to be lazy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The true story is that more and more people are downgrading their OS from the costly Vista to XP. Since the XP is no longer supported by MS, you have to find solace with free open source software...

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Other than the usual 'where the heck did they put [such and such tool] this time?' I've yet to have any serious problems with Vista...I really don't understand what everyone's problem is with it.

Of course, I didn't understand what everyone's problem with XP was either, c'est la vie.

Programming Since 1978 silver trophybronze trophy felgall's Avatar
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The biggest problem with XP at the time it was released was the huge percentage of system resources required to run the operating system (the least important program running on the system as far as the end user is concerned). It is only really in the last year or so that computers have become powerful enough that XP takes a high but acceptable fraction of the resources (once you turn off a lot of the stupid garbage it contains). From a resource use viewpoint this is the time where releasing XP would be appropriate. Computers might reach the same point with Vista in another 6 or 7 years but at the moment the operating system is using way too many resources for what is supposed to be an interface between the important application programs and the hardware. People use computers to run Applications.
    Stephen J Chapman

javascriptexample.net, Book Reviews, follow me on Twitter
    HTML Help, CSS Help, JavaScript Help, PHP/mySQL Help, blog
    <input name="html5" type="text" required pattern="^$">

SitePoint Wizard silver trophy rushiku's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by felgall View Post
    The biggest problem with [*] at the time it was released was the huge percentage of system resources required to run the operating system.
    * Feel free to insert: Windows 3.1, 95, 98, NT, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, 7, Longhorn, Shorthorn, Megaplex, Gigaplex, or even 3000, they all work, or will, with this statement.

If a person wants an OS optimized to run on a certain hardware set, they should get an Apple - downside is: the OS will only work with that hardware, and a minuscule subset of approved hardware and until Steve gets up on stage to announce the latest geegaw that will have you so excited you'll wet yourself, you'll be stuck with it, as is.

If a person wants an OS to which they can add, remove, spindle, bend, fold, and/or mutilate any and all hardware from any time or dimension, they should get a PC and run Windows. Alternately, depending on 'living in a basement or not' status, they can run Linux and write their own drivers.

Also, if one installs Windows from an actual Windows disk, and not a PC vendor's disk, one gets a fast, clean installation that is ready to go. I'm thinking the garbage you refer to is the crapware that Dell, Gateway, and all the other vendors out there stuff their systems with. This is an issue with the PC manufacturers, not Microsoft.

Maybe you're referring to unneeded services? I honestly haven't gotten into those much as I haven't found them to be a problem.

I purchased my latest PC in November last year, it came with Vista. It's a Gateway, and the only reason I mention it is because they were thoughtful (careless?) enough to include a Vista install disk - an actual, honest to goodness, installation disk with none of their junk on it. Once I formatted their misguided idea of 'PC as an advertising medium' into oblivion and installed pure Vista, my new PC went from pathetic to fantastic, and when I added the new video card? Dude! Far better than, ahem, other computers that cost more than twice as much.

[I put on my schill hat] I think that far too often people overlook, or are simply too tech ignorant to realize, the incredible feats Microsoft has pulled off with Windows over the years. They have created a unified platform for all hardware and almost all software. Is it perfect? No. But from printing to fonts, from networking to the incredible Hardware Abstraction Layer that is DirectX, they have achieved things that the 'artists' at other companies have nightmares about. They drive the marketplace. They made our current lives and lifestyles possible.

Sure, we like to hate Microsoft because Windows isn't perfect and because they're top dog - but every once in a while I think we need to step back and look, not at what's wrong with Windows but, at what's right with Windows.