Thread: Search function

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Search function

Hi,

We have created an intranet site for our organization all the pages they have requested were static. So we didnít have much trouble in getting it completed.
    We have around 50-60 html pages. Now the guys have come back saying they want search functionality in the home page where they will be typing some keywords which should retrieve the all the WebPages in the intranet site matching the keyword... I havenít come across any code which does this kind of functionality (crawling)... Can someone help me out in finding the code or the code snippet which I can use to fix this issue...?

Thanks in advance

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That will require a lot more than a code snippet, I'm afraid.

If your intranet consists of static pages you'll need an indexing program that continuously monitors those pages and builds an index database. Then you'll need a search script or program that searches this database.

On a Windows server you can use Index Server as a low-budget (and low functionality) indexer. You can write an ASP/VBScript or .NET app to query the index database.

The best option is probably to acquire a ready-made package for this. Building a decent search function is not a trivial undertaking.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the response...
    Can you suggest some of the readymade packages?

I have heard about Google’s custom search for enterprise. I am not sure if these guys are ready to shell out 100$ for these 50 - 60 static page. Is there any open source or freeware???

SitePoint Author silver trophybronze trophy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Google Custom Search is one option.

Another one is Sphider which uses PHP and MySQL. I haven't tried it myself, but one of the Advisors on my team often recommends it.
    Birnam wood is come to Dunsinane