User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joomla or Drupal

Hi,

Not really sure where to post this but...
    I need to have a social neworking site built and not wanting to do it myself have had some quotes.
    A lot seem to be based on Joomla and a couple on Drupal. I have looked at both and cannot understand the popularity of Joomla - it looks like a nightmare to use and administer intuitive it isnt. On the other hand Drupal seems a lot easier.
    Does anyone have any opinions and any idea why developers seem to prefer Joomla, or is it just work for life because no one else could look after the site.

Thanks for any input,
    Janet

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would say that neither is "easy." I've worked with Drupal more than Joomla, and would choose Drupal between the two, but must admit that Drupal's development seems rather scattered. A lot of the modules you will hope to employ will not have been well-maintained, so there are drawbacks. Joomla seems to get it right on this end. Both are monsters (in terms of size) to work with and bring more to the table than necessary. Like using a fire hydrant to get just a sip.

Sorry for the rambling - my own vote is for Drupal.

SitePoint Addict
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Out of the two I've tended to stick with Joomla although this is more out of familiarity than anything else. It does however seem that there is more community support for Joomla than Drupal which can always be a blessing.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are better platforms available for social networking, but I think if you plan to make a serious run at it, I'd be suspect of anyone saying they'll use either of those as the basis.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i agree with egracecreative. ive been working with drupal for 6 months now and although it is not "easy" by any definition, i am starting to appreciate its capabilities. we've built a 6 figure social networking site with it, no prob. you can implement pretty much anything by writing your own modules. the Apress book comes highly recommended.
    I need someone to protect me from
    all the measures they take in order to protect me