SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is there any way to stop that "click" sound in IE?

Every time a call is made from IE, it plays that annoying "click" sound. Windows Explorer does this too, but that's not my concern right now.

Does anyone know how to stop it from happening?

Initially I thought it must be impossible because it's built into the broswer, right? However Yahoo! Mail had this problem bad (like, 10 clicks whenever you viewed a message or changed a folder) but in the past couple of months it doesn't make the sound any more.

Anyone had any experience with this, and any thoughts on how to stop it?

Cheers.

PS: I know it can be manually removed by Control Panel->Sounds etc. but obviously this isn't appropriate for a web situation.

SQL Consultant gold trophysilver trophybronze trophy
    Mentioned
    58 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ferrari_chris View Post
    PS: I know it can be manually removed by Control Panel->Sounds etc. but obviously this isn't appropriate for a web situation.
    what's not appropriate?

you go to control panel, select "none" for da "start navigation" sound, da clicking goes away, where's da problem?

rudy.ca | @rudydotca
    Buy my SitePoint book: Simply SQL
    "giving out my real stuffs"

. shoooo... silver trophy logic_earth's Avatar
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Control Panel > Sound > Sounds > Windows Explorer > Start Navigation.
    That is the sound that is used on Windows Vista.
    Logic without the fatal effects.
    All code snippets are licensed under WTFPL.

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It sounds like you are asking from the perspective of everyone, and not just yourself. And the answer is to control the number of refreshes or redirects you have along the way in any given HTTP request.

If you are trying to stop this sound for your users (and that's what it sounds like, forgive me if I'm incorrect) there are two things I'd note:

#1) You could do that by eliminating overt HTTP requests and making your application a more stateless experience with technologies like AJAX

#2) That's a Bad Idea. If you want to avoid having 10 click noises on a single link, then giving your site a proper structure (no needless javascript redirects, no iframes, etc). That's cool. But, your users expect to hear a noise when they click a link and you're going to mess with the usability of your website if you try to take that away.

SitePoint Evangelist ferrari_chris's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by graedus_dave View Post
    It sounds like you are asking from the perspective of everyone, and not just yourself. And the answer is to control the number of refreshes or redirects you have along the way in any given HTTP request.

If you are trying to stop this sound for your users (and that's what it sounds like, forgive me if I'm incorrect) there are two things I'd note:

#1) You could do that by eliminating overt HTTP requests and making your application a more stateless experience with technologies like AJAX

#2) That's a Bad Idea. If you want to avoid having 10 click noises on a single link, then giving your site a proper structure (no needless javascript redirects, no iframes, etc). That's cool. But, your users expect to hear a noise when they click a link and you're going to mess with the usability of your website if you try to take that away.
    Thanks.

That's a good point you raise about users expecting to hear the click - I didn't think of that.

Changing to AJAX is out of the question as, obviously, that would mean a major redevelopment and simply not worth the benefit.

I was hoping there were a couple of magic lines of JavaScript or something available to somehow stop it from happening...

Oh well, looks like I'm stuck with it. Thanks for your help.