User Tag List

Thread: Writer's blog

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Writer's blog

I am trying to brush up my writing skill a bit. Anyone follows any good blogs that helps you improve your writing skill?

I need something more than a Google search result.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some advice I once heard for improving writing skills was to read as much as possible, even if it's just the back of the cornflakes box in the morning. Rather than find a site that offers writing tips just study succesful sites that have professional writers.
    Picture - Image hosting & media sharing

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I heard the advice of reading a lot. Guess I have to clean up those old novels...

Thanks.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Are you trying to write factual stuffs? If so, try to personalize it by writing just like how you talk with your friends. Of course, you have to avoid using all the short forms and SMS style writing.

Anyway, if I am not wrong, you are a native English speaker right? So I don't think you will have a terrible grammar problem. Anyway, if you have the time, read up Hypnotic Writing by Joe Vitale. It helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Liew View Post
    Are you trying to write factual stuffs? If so, try to personalize it by writing just like how you talk with your friends. Of course, you have to avoid using all the short forms and SMS style writing.

Anyway, if I am not wrong, you are a native English speaker right? So I don't think you will have a terrible grammar problem. Anyway, if you have the time, read up Hypnotic Writing by Joe Vitale. It helps.
    No! English is my 4th langauge! I seriously started learning it about 6-7 years ago.

I don't have a terrible grammar problem, but I DO have "some" problem. I am trying to minimize it as much as possible. I used to read a lot of books, but I haven't read much books for the last year or so. Reading a lot of contents online (which are not always very well versed in English), might have contributed to the problem. I have to start reading more, and take my time while writing contents, instead of rushing to finish it.

Thanks. I will look up the book.

pavs

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read your thread - One year of blogging and was impressed by the success you'd had. Your writing can't be all that bad with that many visitors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    More visitors = more sets of prying eyes for criticism. Two days ago, I wrote an article which was one of my most successful article till now with more than 110 comments and 30k views so far. While most of the comments were on topic and discussing the article, some of them (grammar Nazis) pointed out my glaring grammatical errors, which has been going on for the last couple posts. Since more people are reading it, there are more people pointing out mistakes.

I have another writer in my blog (who is actually a professional author with few books), my poor writing is even more visible next to his work.

I am not saying it's very bad, but there is certainly room for some improvement.

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    'm not really that great as a writer either but i have to agree that reading more good books could contribute to good writing..

one thing i did was read some journalism books especially with lessons in news writing, editorial writing, etc and it kinda helped me in the process..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by _christina_ View Post
    'm not really that great as a writer either but i have to agree that reading more good books could contribute to good writing..

one thing i did was read some journalism books especially with lessons in news writing, editorial writing, etc and it kinda helped me in the process..
    I just checked your blog and read some posts. You actually have some good contents.

What's more interesting is that you are using your default wordpress theme and have some text-rich good contents. Most people concentrate on their blog design (which is also important) more than the content itself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see your point. Those damn grammar nazis! How about I give you some tips on writing and you can show me how to get that many visitors?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by htpc View Post
    I see your point. Those damn grammar nazis! How about I give you some tips on writing and you can show me how to get that many visitors?

You will be surprised, I actually got a private msg by someone asking me the same question. He wants me to write contents for him in exchange he will help me with my English.

"Anywho". I am actually doing paid consulting with someone for two month, which ends at the end of this month. He is not doing as good as me, but his site is definitely picked up a lot more traffic than before.

The things that I have learned, is the result of 2 years of work and many trials and errors; it wouldn't be fair for me if I did free consulting.

I don't mind discussing here in the forum (I have done it in some of my posts), if anyone has any specific questions; but free consulting would be pushing it a bit too far.