SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs down More weird stuff happening with Thickbox

Hello, I am using thickbox to open up different flash videos in an iFrame on a page.

These videos are called by another video inside the root page which then loads the corresponding flash swf into the thickbox iframe.

I have been having a lot of grief with this pluggin the first being that for some reason using it it with swfobject in the iframe seems to disable the javascript functionality from the close and open next iframe buttons in the iframe in Firefox and IE7 (but bizarrely not in IE6).

Secondly the call to the Iframe or script doesn't appear to work at all in Opera, but that I will leave it for now because Opera is not one of our high priority browsers.

But the weirdest issue that I am having happens in Firefox. basically, when you call the tb_open function from the button in the caller flash file:

_root.sendtofriendbutton_mc.onRelease = function(){
    ExternalInterface.call("self.parent.tb_open" , "iframe.aspx?TB_iframe=true&height=500&width=400&modal=true");}

It calls the iframe fine, however I see a placeholder for the flash video, I hear the sound for the flash video, I can even see it in the source yet I don't see it on the screen:

<div id="videoplaceholder">
    <object type="application/x-shockwave-flash" data="flash/video_1.swf" width="636" height="491">
    <param name="src" value="flash/video_1.swf" />
    <p>Alternative content</p>
    </object>
    </div>

Now, something is obviously obscuring it but now, the biggest enigma is basically that just after I click the close iframe button:

<a href='#' class="close-win" onclick="top.tb_remove();" >close window</a>

I see this bloody flash video appearing for one split of a second just before the window closes...

I have no idea whatsover of what could be happening and "why" on earth it only happens in Firefox.

I'm using thickbox 3.1 by the way. Sounded like such a fabulous idea at first yet it's becoming the worse bug on the website...

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok having spent hours doing our heads in with this thickbox issue, we have found out that it is this overlay thing that hides the flash. We changed it's position to absolute instead of fixed in the thickbox.css and that appears to have solved the problem.

#TB_overlay {
    /*position: fixed;*/
    position: absolute;
    z-index:100;
    top: 0px;
    left: 0px;
    height:100&#37;;
    width:100%;
    }

However, there is a button in the flash that uses the tb_open function again to load another iframe containing another file becomes disabled. Now why this is happening, I don't know...

Has anyone encountered the same problem?

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Smile

Thank you for sharing your resolution to this problem. Having spent far too many hours making my website cross-browser compatible and learning about every single IE bug there is, I wasn't looking forward to spending several more hours sorting out this exact same issue. Thankfully I found your post and was able to fix the issue in record time.

It's worth noting that changing the position to absolute caused the overlay to only fill half my screen, but changing height:100%; to height:1500px seems to have sorted that out.

Thanks again!

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey no worries Carducci, I often end up with having to resolve my own issues that I post because of panic deadlines but I still post on the off chance someone would contribute or at least benefit from it. In fact I wish I had more time to assist as in the past few months i've only been posting questions rather than answers.

Have you worked with http://mjijackson.com/shadowbox/ Shadowbox by any chance? A friend of mine is telling me that it is a much better option than thickbox. I have not worked with it yet, but seen his results and they look good. The thing is I have yet to see it working smoothly with sIFR and flash.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a pretty rare thing that people do that. Most of the threads I come across when looking for the solution for a problem never get updated.

Shadowbox looks pretty slick. I may have to make the switch.

Thanks again!