SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Hybrid View

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finding Good JavaScript Coder

I have a web application that probably (99%) should be done with JavaScript and perhaps a little AJAX. My problem is how to find a really good coder. Does anyone have tips, referrals.

The JS would be added to a "template.cgi" which is generated by a "C" application.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It all depends on the project and budget. If you could explain the web application and why you think it should be javascript based, we may be able to provide you with suggestions.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You could post in the Sitepoint marketplace ("Looking to hire" section). Getting a really good coder may be tricky but you could think up some type of test or filtering system for applications. - Or require that each applicant submits links to a couple of JavaScript apps they've coded...
    James Padolsey
    末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末末
    Awesome JavaScript Zoomer (demo here)
    'Ajaxy' - Ajax integration solution (demo here)

SitePoint Zealot
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You need to be more especific. I am a very good javascript coder, but need to know exactly what are you looking for and the budget.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First, I'm a little reluctant to talk in detail about the application in an open forum.

Second, I have already talked to enough knowledgeable folks to know that the application needs to be JavaScript

Third, I can't see why my budget is pertinent at this point. I have done enough elance, rentacoder, etc to know that good coders cost money .. but if they really are good, they will finish the task faster than a so-so coder.

As to the Sitepoint marketplace, my experiences have been mostly negative.

SitePoint Wizard bronze trophy
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've always thought this to be a difficult purchase for a customer. They're rarely experienced coders themselves, so it's not easy for them to audit a potential employees prior work to see if they write good code, or leftover soup. It could be helpful if you already have a good coder on your team who can develop a test or task to have the applicant perform, and audit the results. Even if your coder isn't well versed in javascript, they can likely still spot good and bad programming practices.

I've come across some websites offering testing services. The names don't come to mind, nor have I ever taken one for javascript, but they might be potentially helpful. I've seen a few php tests that while they won't indicate whether or not they will write well structured and resuable code, it does do a reasonable job of testing profieciency with the language. A very high score probably means they at least know the language very well, which means they've probably worked with it for a decent amount of time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmalibu View Post
    I've always thought this to be a difficult purchase for a customer. They're rarely experienced coders themselves, so it's not easy for them to audit a potential employees prior work to see if they write good code, or leftover soup. It could be helpful if you already have a good coder on your team who can develop a test or task to have the applicant perform, and audit the results. Even if your coder isn't well versed in javascript, they can likely still spot good and bad programming practices.
    That's pretty much me, crmalibu.

I'm a lone wolf who develops my own websites .. except for using a few open source apps. I'm okay with HTML/CSS and even a tiny bit of PHP .. but no real coding knowledge.

I'm (a small) part of a development team on a Sourceforge project, but the programmers there are 'C' guys. I can't impose too much on them. They will help, but have only so much time.

The JS code I need is an 'enhancement" of one aspect of the project, but will not be added to the repository .. so ..

One thing that adds a twist to this particular projext is embedding the JS in the template generated by the "C" application. I can provide the template, but there will be a "sorting out"/learning curve involved.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by crmalibu View Post
    I've come across some websites offering testing services. The names don't come to mind, nor have I ever taken one for javascript, but they might be potentially helpful. I've seen a few php tests that while they won't indicate whether or not they will write well structured and resuable code, it does do a reasonable job of testing profieciency with the language. A very high score probably means they at least know the language very well, which means they've probably worked with it for a decent amount of time.
    With all the outsourcing being done on the *lance and *coder sites, it would seem that a professionally run paid membership "Certification" site could find some traction.

Many of the above mentioned site have "ratings" and "feedback" on their sites, but on many, those are used as bargaining chips for price concessions and cannot be trusted at all.

On one popular site, I had to terminate a project because of a squabble with the site owner. I recommended that the coder be given a very good rating based on the work he had done to that point. The site 'arbitration' gave the coder a low rating anyhow.