SitePoint Sponsor

User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

php shopping carts

I am new to php, in fact just about to start studying it. Mainly right now I am interested in developing shopping carts and forums and using and modifying existing ones. I have come across some shopping carts you can buy such as:
    http://www.x-cart.com/
    and
    http://www.viart.com/
    Are these worth buying? Or are they just WYSIWYG editors that are the equivalent of dreamweaver and frontpage for html. And you can hand-code php just as well or even better without these software packages.

I have heard lots of demand for x-cart, so would I have to buy xcart software to use xcart on client sites, or can I just use open-source scripts that are x-cart?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well starting php with the shopping cart seems to be brave idea...as if you are going to develop real shopping cart i hope it utilizes many ideas of php ...security...sessions...and all...

and if you are going to change the existing one...you are not developing it...you are customizing it...as many programmer does ...customizing...or some say writing mod,plugins and all....

make sure that license of the software allows changes..if it is not opensource...

well for me...i think people pay for this software bcoz they are reactive and proactive..if new features come ..it is added...or may be bcoz of reputation...they think ...it is easier to just buy it .....or may be for support

thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I think it would be a bad idea for me to use a cart for a client I built myself until I have studied it for a while, or I may end up with something full of security holes that lets unwanted persons access customers credit info and I will get sued or something.

So what if someone had a shopping cart which was closed source and they asked me to modify it for their site? How do I know which bits I can customize and which modifications would be considered not legal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cyjetsu View Post
    Thanks. I think it would be a bad idea for me to use a cart for a client I built myself until I have studied it for a while, or I may end up with something full of security holes that lets unwanted persons access customers credit info and I will get sued or something.

So what if someone had a shopping cart which was closed source and they asked me to modify it for their site? How do I know which bits I can customize and which modifications would be considered not legal?
    you can go to their site and have a look at their terms and condition....

even done for one or two site(or special customization) i dont think any even big product(company) will have any problem with that...

for eg ..even in this site there is extension to vbulletien ...called market place....(special customization)...

the problem comes when you start selling that special customization as a new product...
    for eg if this forum is considered as new product ecommerce broard and sold...there may be a problem

any way you always can write plugin ,extension and mods...and encourage people to use it with the legal copy of the original application....

and if you are not somebody expert in other languages...and have already made professional software ...it is not easy to just come and make and sell pro software straight away...with in some months...
    more over in php there are lots of good software for free...

any way good luck