Hybrid View

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

MySQL password problems

Hey all,
    I'm using Mandrake 8.0, and installed MySQL off the cd. When I installed it, it said that I should set a password. At the time I was logged in to my laptop, and when I tried setting a password, it gave me an "Access Denied" error. I logged in to Webmin and looked, and it said the password was blank.

How do I go about changing the password from a remote host. I really can't log on to the server, but if it's the only way, I can. Thanks for the help!

********* Callithumpian silver trophy freakysid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When you first intall mysql a user "root" is setup (this is not the same thing as the system root user) and by default the password is blank (no password). The easiest way to set users and passwords for mysql is by using the mysqladmin program. But that requires logging into the machine (in most cases).

However, you might be able to set the root password (and set up other uses) remotely through something like phpMyAdmin.

Select the database names "mysql"
    Edit the "users" table. Here you will see a list of all users defined for the mysql server on your machine. You can insert/delete/update records in this table. I've always used mysqladmin myself so can't give you more info that this.

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried logging into the machine as root and setting the password, but it still is giving me Access Denied errors. Could there be something wrong? Also, I tried updating the password via Webmin, but it said that there is currently not a root password. Why wouldn't it except my blank password?