User Tag List

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My problem: Windows or Linux or booth?

My problem:
    Made a small ROR application some moth ago, then got an IPS, then got the feeling that I have better learn to (I am used to windows) say command to a Linux machine. One thing was the ISP assumed that I was good at Linux, another that I had to install and use "Putty" () in order to issue commands to the server. Also a version-control-program runs only on Linux machine.
    Then I stopped the project!

Do I have to be good also at Linux?
    Can I ask Linux/"putty"/ROR related questions here?
    The good Lenz (author the ROR book) has not commented these questions, as far as I remember.

Any comment here is more than really welcome.

Regards
    Erik

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think this is just for Ruby and ROR. Regarding Linux it isn't too hard to learn basic commands to move files around. Here is a cheat sheet you might find usefull http://www.ss64.com/bash/. If you bang linux tutorial into google you will find millions of tutorials. I always found http://ubuntuforums.org/ a very friendly place for linux(ubuntu being a type of linux). I have asked the stupidest questions and got friendly responses. hope this helps

SitePoint Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the answer. This was not of much help, I know some of these commands and use of, :-).
    Found that there is no "putty" forum (I think) out there.
    Erik

SitePoint Enthusiast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wikipedia
    PuTTY is a terminal emulator application which can act as a client for the SSH, Telnet, rlogin, and raw TCP computing protocols.k
    You use it to log on to a server(in your case a linux one) using ssh, telnet or whatever. Then after you've logged in you can issue commands. Here is a putty tutorial